[Reader-list] Dr. Prem's Eight fold path : Proposal for a reader-list protocol

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:20:14 IST 2008

>From the Guardian via The Hindu

How do you deal with idiots on the Comment Board?
Andrew Brown

 Keith Richards isn't often admired for his sanity, but he did ask one
question which should be hung on the wall of every newspaper office
where people believe that publishing comments will increase their
readership: "Why should I care about what some other person on the
other side of the world thinks about this or that?" It is not that his
question is unanswerable; but it is the one question which anyone
running a blog or a comment-enabled newspaper site needs to keep on
answering.

 To keep on giving your readers a reason to read the opinions of other
readers is a skill which has only really existed in the past 10 years.
It starts with the need to encourage good contributors, which is not
entirely different from the traditional letters pages of a newspaper —
essentially, you have to start by begging the people you want to
contribute to do so, in the hope that others will want to be
associated with them. When the London-based Independent newspaper
started, its letters to the editor was entirely shameless about
soliciting opinions from people like Graham Greene — not so much
because he had interesting things to say as because other people would
exert themselves to write well enough to appear on the same page.

 But famous contributors only work to improve the quality of letters
pages. The difficulty with online comments is that there is no
particular merit in appearing on the same page as even the most
distinguished contributors. Any fool can manage this, and almost every
fool will try. If idiots were the only problem, they could perhaps be
worked around and discouraged without too much effort. But there are a
fair few idiots with a sense of entitlement, and beyond that, there
are the purely destructive. Bad comment drives out good, while the
nature of the web means that there will always be some place where the
good contributors can go for fun if yours gets too crowded and silly.

 There are no purely technological fixes. It is certainly not worth
hoping that any forum worth having can police itself. Without a
rigorous policy of excluding fools and banishing trolls any discussion
will be wrecked, but this policy is hard to state with any greater
precision because exactly who constitutes a foolish troll varies
according to the understanding of the community. The rules of the IRC
channel for readers of the xkcd webcomic (xkcd.com) say very simply:
"Don't reduce the signal [to] noise ratio, don't be mean unless it's
funny, and don't delete things. That's all, really."

On Metafilter (metafilter.com), the founder explains why he allows
great freedom to the members: "I give you the ability to do this
because I trust you. I trust that you will act in a civilised manner,
that you will treat others with opposing viewpoints with absolute
respect, that you will contribute in a positive way to the intelligent
discussions that take place here every day."

Neither of these policies has anything in common with the boilerplate
of most big sites. They are addressed to responsible adults, not their
lawyers; but then it is adults we want commenting, not lawyers (unless
they are talking about the law).

"Don't be mean unless it is funny" may be the most difficult of these
rules to follow, and the one least fitted to large readerships. There
are some disputes where it is simply impossible to separate
disagreement from enmity. Perhaps the best solution was invented by
the Christian site, Ship of Fools (shipoffools.com), which has a
section called Hell, where those who wish to engage in interminable
arguments are welcome. — (c) Guardian Newspapers Limited, 2008