[Reader-list] Fwd: Without Muslims we are rootless: KPs

aniruddha dutta anirdutt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 07:55:44 IST 2008

Without Muslims we are rootless: KPs

ARIF SHAFI WANI

Sheikhpora (Budgam), Mar 6: Joy knew no bounds for Reetu Kumari, a
51-year old Kashmir Pandit, when a native Muslim potter knocked her
door at the apartment in the newly constructed migrant colony here on
the principal festival of the Pandits, Maha Shivratri, popularly known
as Herath, celebrated across the state Thursday.
 Reetu says the potter from Chadoora has been providing her and other
Pandit families earthen-ware for Shivratri for the past 40 years.
Without naming him, she said the man had traveled a long distance to
reach the colony.
 "We share a bond of love with him and other Muslims. Without them we
are rootless," she said.
 The state government with the assistance of New Delhi established the
colony as a "safe zone" for the Pandits who migrated to Jammu in early
'90s. However, on experimental basis, instead of the migrants, Pandits
who had stayed back have been settled in the heavily fortified colony.
Out of 30 families, only 15 moved in on Tuesday.
 Despite security restrictions, the Muslims thronged the colony to
greet the Pandits on the festival.
 Incidentally, when aged Fatima and other women of this tiny hamlet
went to greet their Pandit brethren, they had to face a volley of
questions before being ushered in by the gun-totting security guards
deployed in the premises in strength.
 "We don't personally know them (Pandits) but they are part of our
culture and so we feel it's our responsibility to greet them on
Shivratri. That is why we were not bothered by the strict security
restrictions in the colony," Fatima said as she crossed the security
barrier.
 Emotional scenes were witnessed when the women felicitated the
Pandits. Sitting in his new two bedroom apartment, Bansi Lal said
"although we are contended with the new accommodation, we fear loosing
ties with our Muslim brethren, if such security restrictions
continue."
 In a choked voice, Lal added "for centuries past, the Muslims have
shared our grief and sorrows."
 "It's because of their love and affection that we didn't migrate to
Jammu. All our festivals rather culture is incomplete without them.
They should enjoy free access to meet us," he demanded.
 Unidentified gunmen had killed Lal's brother-in-law and nephew in
Sangrampora massacre in 1997.
 "We believe death is eternal. Why should we fear it. The government
should see to it that the security restrictions should not make us
vulnerable to some more trouble," Lal said.
 After the Sangrampora massacre, the Pandits said,  the authorities
asked them to shift to the migrant houses in Budgam.
 "Life was miserable. We had to share a room with many families. But
as for Muslims they always offered us unflinching support and this
helped us survive the tough times," said Vinod Pandita, who teaches at
a government school in Budgam.
 However, when the authorities decided to rehabilitate them at a
separate colony in Sheikhpora, the Pandits had a "tough choice".
 "Despite problems, we preferred to stay in Budgam. However, the
migrant landlords pressurized us to vacate."
 "It was an emotional separation from the Muslims at Budgam but we had
no choice," Pandita added.
 His counterpart Nannaji had apprehensions of settling in the new colony.
 "But our fears have vanished following warm response from the
locals," he said as a group of residents hugged him saying 'Herath
Mubarak'.