[Reader-list] A tribute to the Indian women

Bikash Ballabh Singh vikash.sen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 13:26:22 IST 2008

There is a heroic tale behind every ordinary woman who continues to do
extraordinary things every day, as she toils selflessly for her family,
community and country. On the Woman's Day, here's a tribute to the
sacrificing Indian women.

by Pooja Maniar via merinews

WE, AS a nation of a billion plus people, have a habit of making heroes out
of people. Whenever the cricket team goes out and does well, we give it a
royal welcome back home. If a women's cricket team were to win the World Cup
and come, not even the media would be at the airport to welcome it!

The Indian women have often been subjected to biased measures. You may call
it inequality of a kind. But despite all odds, they have emerged victorious
in all their endeavours. On the Women's Day, let us pay a tribute to the
Indian women. No, we are not talking about any heroes or icons here - just
the ordinary Indian women who, despite being ordinary, are heroes within
their own rights; the women who are a part of our society; the women who are
amongst all of us.

Even in the 21st century, women are not given the respect that they deserve.
But you don't need to look far to see a hero or a larger than life figure. A
woman is much closer to you. She is a part of your family. She is your
mother, sister, daughter or wife. The Indian woman is synonymous with
sacrifice. She had her dreams and aspirations, but had to give them up for
the betterment of her family. She wakes up the earliest every morning, for
if she is not on time, none of her family members will be able to accomplish
any work on time.

If there was ever a doubt in anyone's mind as to which gender is dependent
on the other, you just need to go through your daily schedule. Your morning
tea would not taste as sweet if it weren't for your mother or wife preparing
it. You would not get your matching tie or shoes, if it weren't for her
providing it. The little things that come so easily in life would not have
been that easy if it weren't for a woman doing those.

On one side, she is part of the army and the police force and tackles down
crime. On the other, she has to fight with the local vendor everyday for
that extra buck. Your savings account would not have looked that rosy, if
the woman in your house had not been saving money everyday.

As a part of the ever-changing society, even the Indian woman has had to
change. For nothing is permanent in life but change. The Indian woman of
today is open-minded and has a modern outlook but will still stick to her
roots and cultures. She may go to office everyday but never at the expense
of her duties to the family. She may tour the world over but will never let
go of her Indianness. She is confident, talented yet dignified.

There are international days dedicated to chocolates, roses or even
potatoes. But, do we really need a day for the women, so that we forget her
for the rest of the 364 days in the year? The sacrifices made by our mothers
and sisters have often been taken for granted and as a society, we refuse to
acknowledge that fact!

Both men and women have an equal role to play in the society. But, often the
efforts of the women are neglected. We do not need to find women heroes in
the country. There is a hero amongst all of us. It is just that we do not
acknowledge her importance. Here's a salute to the woman of our country, who
selflessly continues to toil for her family, her community and her country.
We do not need a Woman's Day to celebrate the achievements of the Indian
women, for every single day of the year belongs to the women. It may be a
man's world, but let's not forget that it is the women who make the men.

Soruce: http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=130831