[Reader-list] RFID for security and privacy?

Prem Chandavarkar prem.cnt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:48:16 IST 2008

Dear Jeebesh,
philosopher Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832) who came up with an architectural
concept for the design of prisons which was called the "panopticon".
Bentham's design called for the jail cells to be arranged in a circle.  At
the centre of the circle is a guard tower whose windows have closely spaced
louvers that are designed such that the guard within can look out at the
jail cells, but from the jail cells the prisoners cannot tell whether a
guard is within the tower.  The jail cells are divided from each other by
opaque walls, so the prisoners cannot see each other, and therefore, cannot
coordinate their behaviour.  A guard does not even have to occupy the tower
at all times - an occasional visit will suffice.  While each prisoner cannot
see whether the guard is in the tower, they also cannot tell whether the
guard is absent from the tower.  The mere possibility of always being within
the spotlight of surveillance makes the prisoner behave properly (that is in
the manner that the guard expects him to behave).  Bentham seemed to see
this as a humane solution, as power and/or coercision do not have to be
overtly applied, and even perpetual surveillance is not required - its mere
possibility is sufficient.  Again, this threat needs to be perceived only by
those who are likely to forment dissent, as the larger majority will tend to
follow such leaders.

It could therefore be argued that in this digital age of data mining and
RFID tags, Bentham's panopticon is now being extended to all of society.  If
one buy's into Bentham's concept that the perpetual possibility of
surveillance is the best way to achieve order in an otherwise unruly
society, then you could argue that an electronic tagging system will help to
make citizens secure.  While I have not come across anyone explicitly citing
Bentham's panopticon, I suspect that this is the logic that is being
applied.

This of course assumes a buy-in to the following assumptions (which although
they appear philosophically problematic, are fairly symptomatic of
contemporary governance):

1. A society left to itself without adequate supervision will tend toward
becoming unruly (The "Lord of the Flies" argument).

2. For the emergence of stable social order, the vertical connections
between the citizen and the state (a social contract??) are of greater
importance than the lateral connections between citizens.

Regards,
Prem