[Reader-list] Who's Afraid of "promito" Bangla

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:08:20 IST 2008

Who's Afraid of "promito" Bangla
(A debate on the future of Bangla language)

On Anisul Huq's "Arshinogor", the debate over "gali galaj" in Kali o
Kolom, why Mustafa Sarwar Faruqui calls his mega tv serial "420", are
Djuice kids proletarianizing Bangla, why Monzurul Islam is so scared
of "khaise korsi" literature, why the time for Tagore-ian Bangla
(whatever that may be) is over, etc and other related debates or as we
would say "ajaira pyachal"

Naeem Mohaiemen in conversation with Bratya Raisu

Kozmo Cafe
Sat Masjid Road
Dhanmondi, Dhaka
March 22, 8 pm

[the name Kozmo comes from "cosmopolitan" and cafe owner Arif Hafiz
(ex- American Express) would be first to describe it as "branding,
branding, branding". I had an argument this morning with him about why
he was charging 150 taka/head for the event. But his response is, if
you are arguing that Shantiniketan mafia stronghold on "purity" of
Bangla should be smashed, why would you want culture spaces to be
"pure" i.e. free and under the shade of the banyan tree. I am still
masticating that response, may incorporate it into the discussion
tomorrow.]

[details of this event also on facebook-- search for kozmo cafe]