[Reader-list] [GreenYouth] Kerala - Convention on Irresponsible Tourism in Kerala

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 11:57:22 IST 2008

I think my reply to deepak is not appeared on readers list (sorry for
crossposting)

deepak p wrote:
 > i can hardly resist from replying to this email.. why do u guys luk upon
 > evrything in a negative way.. i am in no way related to the icrt
 > conference.. but believe that its a good initiative.. lets see what ur
 > major complaints are:

First of all, we have not figured the campaign as a negative one. I
 think  Deepak is not carefully read the points we raised. We are trying

to bring the concern that the present discussion is not participative.
 The department and industry is giving an image that all are moving
 towards Responsible Way. But at the same time the present tourism
 development in the state is continuing with no difference in practice.

 If you want more examples for this we can give you. Our major point is
 that the present Responsible initiative is not addressing fundamental
 issues. For eg: Kovalam they constituted a Destination Level Responsible
 Tourism committee (DLRTC) and some of its aims and objectives are to
 lead the participatory planning process at the destination for the
 decisions and actions for the implementation that ensure the
 transparency and accountability of the programme.

 At the same time Department of Tourism is constructing an artificial
 reef in Kovalam.Please ask Responsible Kerala Tourism that whether they
 consulted this project with the "participatory "committee or not? So
 this is what happening all over the state. One side they pretend that
 they are responsible and the other hand they are developing tourism
 which is completely irresponsible. Fishermen in the area say that from
 their previous experience the artificial reef is harmful to their
 livelihood option and they fear the loss of 500 people's livelihood (Of
 course they are not academics to sit in an Ac room and discuss this)
 they are using their way of protest.

> 1. calling it incredible india conference on...
 >
 > i dont think thats the name.. its the second edition of international
 >  conf on responsible tourism..
 > http://www.responsibletourism2008.org/

Secondly, please go through the website
 http://www.responsibletourism2008.org/event.php where you can see the
 name "Incredible India Second International Conference on Responsible
 Tourism in Destinations".

 > 2. holding it in a luxury hotel
 >
 > where else can u hold conferences with such a lot of international
 > particiaption

Please go through the Responsible Tourism concept carefully (Cape Town
 declaration and other documents) they all talking about economic
 leakage." Maximise local economic benefits by increasing linkages and
 reducing leakages, by ensuring that communities are involved in, and
 benefit from, tourism. Wherever possible use tourism to assist in
 poverty reduction by adopting pro-poor strategies".

 Learn carefully who is Le Meridian and where this money goes? What is
 the role of local communities in such hotel like Le – Meridian?

> 3. registration fee is 5000..
 >
 > this is a scholarly conference man.. and the conference holders are
 > no charity workers.. u have to invite international standard
 > speakers, get the arrangements done etc.. u need money.. i havent
 > seen a scholarly conference of good stature that can afford to charge
 > less than some 150 USD or so.. this is no charity function.. luk up
 > what scholarly conferences are and understand that.. even conferences
 > held in CUSAT have regn fees of 2k at least..
 >

> if u dont understand what scholarly or academic conferences are..
 > check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_conference

Of course the conference organizers are not charity workers. But please
 go through the web site you mentioned and check who the organizers are.
 You can see that "Incredible India "and Kerala Tourism both are
 govermenment departments and they have the 'constitutional obligation'
 to listen the concern of all the stakeholders not just "scholars ". And
 most importantly this conference is discussing serious issues which have
 impact on thousand's of people's livelihood. So it is their right to
 participate. For that they do not need to search wikipedia and all
 (Wikipedia is not a solution for all the problems!!!).

 You can also see that Rs. 5,000 is not for academician's fee. That's the
 fee for NGOs and other "Poor" categories.

 "The Conference will be a key global initiative to help the tourism

industry and all its stakeholders to discuss and debate important

developments in the field ". This statement is from the organiser's
 website and which clearly said that all the stakeholder. So scholars are
 just one stakeholder and they do not have right to represent other
 stakeholders and affected communities.

 It is also important to know that the responsible tourism concept always
 support pro poor tourism, participation etc. This registration fee
  is denying certain communities access and they are the most important
 stakeholders

> 4. kerala is not very responsible in its tourism initiatives..
 >
 > okay, thats one probable reason as to why we have this conference at
 > all, rite?

No you are totally wrong. Please go thorough the invitation letter
 posted on the list. One of our main concerns is that the present

conference and Responsible Tourism initiative is not addressing the
 fundamental issues such as unsustainable growth of tourism, pollution
 etc .At the same time they are discussing the production of vegetables
 and milk for tourism industry( If the local communities are producing
 these they don't need a tourism market to sell).