[Reader-list] (no subject)

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri May 2 16:27:27 IST 2008

Dear Radhikarajen,

You said, - "True colour red is inspiring of the sacrifices many made
for the dignified life, job security and decent life, but with the
modern lifestyles the very values which inspired are some what blurred."

I was a bit intrigued by this statement. The Chicago Haymarket
Protestors, in whose memory we celebrate May Day, (as Asit reminded
us) inspired the international working class movement of the late
nineteenth century to observe, annually, on each May Day the
celebration of a demand for an eight hour working day. This was done
with a withdrawal of labour, with festivities, music, dancing and non-
militaristic parades (the military parade that used to be held in
front of the Kremlin, and the one that continues to be held in
Beijing are both obscene perversions of the miltiant anti-militarist
traditions of May Day). As a result of this, May Day is the only non
secterian festival that can be celebrated by any working person,
anywhere in the world. It signals an instant, but deep and enduring
solidarity.

 From what I can see around me, people have to work much longer than
eight hours these days, in order to get a decent wage. Real wages are
falling, and all over the world, the hard won benefits of peace,
health care, education, holidays, equal rights for women, freedom of
speech & conscience and the liberty to live one's personal life as
one chooses (especially, but not only, for gay and lesbian people)
are under attack. All of these were won by working people, after
miltiant battles,  all over the world. Not a single one of these was
a sop offered by ruling powers. If all the precious liberties we have
today are under attack, then I do not see how the 'very values which
inspired them' become 'somewhat blurred'.

On the contrary, I think they get sharper and more acute. The world
we are living in today is more riven by class conflict than any other
time in history. We still have nothing to lose but our chains.

And as I said yesterday, only a world to win.

best

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS