[Reader-list] (no subject)

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sat May 3 20:30:06 IST 2008

Aarti,

Thank you for the fantastic essays. It is important to remember - or to
know, because few of us have been told in the first place - that we were
not always objectified as homo economicus. Here is a quote from Ricoeur
that appealed to me, and I used it some years ago in a short op-ed piece
on Lennon: "Humanism ... appears as the reply to the peril of the
"objectification" of man in work and in consuming." I haven't saved the
citation, unfortunately, but think it was in his preface to Fallible
Man. Ellul is also very relevant here.

Anyway, in terms of practice, I suppose the issue is how to marry red
and green. Some list members have studied Marx, and it would be great to
hear what they may have to say, because I believe this objectification
was part of Marx's concerns (correct me if I am wrong). The  marriage
will involve forcing the big "Marxist" brands, which are deeply embedded
in this kind of objectification, to think, and if they can't or don't
want to, simply putting them behind us.

Tapas