[Reader-list] Ghalib and the damn Muslim problem

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:35:16 IST 2008

I think Dr. Iqbal is the only exception whom one can say to have those
so called community feelings. He too had a vision for a new Muslim
world, like Karl Marx had for the labourers of the world.....
representatives of both, failed them, miserably, but both of them cant
be blamed for their visions... ( the comparison is just to make the
point, beyond that there is hardly any possibility )

that is that.... with Ghalib one can never say that he had those
community feelings....he was really a poet....from another
world...Love was flowing in his veins like blood....if he had
expressed his feelings for Muslim community it must be seen from that
universal perespective of a poet.

He was a Sufi in a real sense. Hum Mohid hain, Humara keash hai tarkay
rasoom, Milatian jab mit gaieen, aijazay eeman ho gaieen.

What Hali wrote... must be..that Muslim communities should realize
that potential, that they gave a  Ghalib to the world.... why not now
even....in many other senses....

I have none of the hallmarks of a Muslim; why is it that every
 humiliation that the Muslims suffer pains and grieves me so much?"

If one re-reads the above line... one can see how he feels distanced
from the orthodoxy and  mundanity of his own community... and yet he
can't distance himself from the pain  and suffering of society of
which is an integral part...

that is how great he was...
and these days .... whenever i pass through the vicinity where Ghalib
once lived his olden days... i feel his face in the faces of muslim
living and working there.... i love them all.....

with Ghalib's blessings

love to all
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com