[Reader-list] Ghalib and the damn Muslim problem

gaurav dikshit gauravdik at gmail.com
Fri May 9 14:04:14 IST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: gaurav dikshit <gauravdik at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Ghalib and the damn Muslim problem
To: Raheema Begum <theunderscoredhood at gmail.com>

Ghalib scholar Ralph Russell on himself:
I was born in 1918. I became a communist at the age of 16 and am still
content to call myself one despite the traumatic experiences from 1946
onwards of the corruption and eventual collapse of the communist movement
and the Soviet Union, because I still hold to the humanist values which made
me a communist.
[From here <http://www.ralphrussell.co.uk/about.html>]

Now I am not poor, then why do I feel distressed and pained whenever I hear
of a tragedy befalling the wretched of the earth?
I ain't no nationalist or patriot, then why cannot I imagine living anywhere
except India?
Really, it's about humanism, and we call it by different names depending on
what culture we identify with: Comrades, Muslims, Indians, Biharis.

And Ghalib's words should always be taken with a pinch of salt, except when
he bemaons that he has no money left. One of Ghalib's tricks to answer
charges of blasphemy was to say "kya karoon, shaitaan Ghalib hai", which
could mean Satan is conquering Ghalib, or that Ghalib (conqueror) himself is
Satan.

Bandagi mein bhee voh aazaad-o-khudbeen hain ke ham
Ultey phir aaey dar-e-Ka'abah agar va na hua