[Reader-list] Sound Unbound (MIT Press)

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:31:43 IST 2008

I have a text in this anthology that has just been published.

Sound Unbound
Sampling Digital Music and Culture
Edited by Paul D. Miller aka Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid
MIT Press, 2008

I wrote the essay, "Fear of a Muslim Planet", in early 2006. But due
to publisher schedules, the anthology from MIT Press in which it
appears came out this spring. In the meantime, various new names
emerged, including Lupe Fiasco, who was absent from my 2005-2006
research.

The text remains as is, except for the inclusion of Lupe right before
it went to press. As for the writing style, an earnest,
culture-as-tool permeates the conclusion, legacy of the mode of
thought I was in during 2002-2006 (everything was about war-on-terror
framed "struggle").

Sound Unbound
Sampling Digital Music and Culture
Edited by Paul D. Miller aka Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid
MIT Press, 2008
Contributors include Pierre Boulez, Chuck D, Cory Doctorow, Brian Eno,
Jonathan Lethem, Moby, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Steve Reich, Saul Williams,
and more.

Download "Fear of a Muslim Planet" chapter
http://shobak.org/text/hiphop.shtml

Buy the book @ Amazon
http://tinyurl.com/63phj2

List of Contributors