[Reader-list] ‘Singh’s killing a political conspiracy’

Junaid justjunaid at gmail.com
Mon May 12 14:58:03 IST 2008

IDP leader had facilitated meetings of Geelani, Mirwaiz and Shabir Shah in
Samba

*News Agency of Kashmir *

Jammu, May 11: The political analysts here are viewing the killing of
International Democratic Party (IDP) leader Hoshiar Singh and his trade
union leader wife Shashi Bala by unidentified gunmen as a "political
conspiracy" saying Singh was instrumental in organizing meetings of various
separatists in the predominantly Hindu area of Samba.

They say it is hard to understand the motive behind these killings. "Singh
facilitated the meetings of separatist leaders like Hurriyat (G) Chairman
Syed Ali Geelani, Hurriyat (M) Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and senior
Hurriyat (M) leader Shabir Ahmed Shah in Samba during past few years," one
Kashmir watcher said.
A Jammu based news agency NAK quoted a senior IDP leader I D Khajuria as
saying that Singh believed Jammu and Kashmir was a disputed State whose
resolution was possible only through trilateral talks involving India,
Pakistan as well as the genuine representatives of Jammu Kashmir.
"I too was receiving threats from unknown people for the past one month,
which I reported to police in a routine manner. But the target killing of
Hoshiar Singh and his wife and an attempt to eliminate his entire family has
led credence to a conspiracy to eliminate IDP leaders of the area," said
Khajuria, adding, "We demand a judicial probe to bring out the truth behind
the killing of Hoshiar Singh and his family members.
Lok Sevak Sambyal, an eyewitness and Singh's son alleged that his father and
mother were killed as a part of well planned conspiracy.
Talking to NAK, he said that unidentified gunmen were sighted by many
morning walkers and when asked about their identity, they claimed that they
were army men and looking for the house of Hoshiar Singh.
"They knocked at our door. My father opened the door. They asked if he was
Hoshiar Singh. After confirming his identity they wasted no time and
showered a volley of bullets at him. When my mother asked them who they were
and what they wanted, they sprayed bullets at her killing her," said Lok
Sevak Sambyal adding, "I bolted myself and my wife inside the room while my
sister Bindu and her mother-in-law ventured outside after hearing the
gunshots and were also hit by bullets."
He said that the police theory that they wanted shelter in our house does
not hold good as our house is in the midst of a locality and before knocking
the door of our house they could have entered into any house.
"My father was not violent by nature nor do we have any firearms in our
house. So he could not have entered into a verbal duel or exchanged heated
words. So there was no need to open fire targeting the entire family."
However police remained tight lipped over the conspiracy theory.
GOC 9 Corps Vinay Sharma while briefing media persons after the encounter
said militants target was army area.
However he refused to comment over the BSF claim that militants belonged to
the group which managed to sneak into this side after an encounter in Samba
sector on Friday.

http://www.risingkashmir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3440&Itemid=1