[Reader-list] Petition for Dr. Binayak Sen's release

Sujata & Samantak kokopeli at gmail.com
Tue May 13 10:32:14 IST 2008

Dear All,
On 14 May 2008, Dr. Binayak Sen will complete a year of unjust (and possibly
unlawful) imprisonment.
This is a request to consider signing a petition for his release.

Can we also think of other ways of registering our outrage and protest at
this (continuing) miscarriage of justice on 14 May? I know its difficult to
think of new ways of protesting, and anything we do is likely to prove
ineffective anyway, but I do think we need to register our protest in our
own ways - no matter how small.

Apologies, as usual, for this unsolicited mail.

Samantak/Buju/Pupu

    Dear Friends,

Dr Binayak Sen will be completing one year of detention this 14th May. His
well wishers have demanded his release. If you consider that Dr Sen's
detention is wrong please sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Solitary/petition.html

Dr Binayak Sen is the General Secretary of the Chhattisgarh unit of the
Peoples Union of Civil Liberties, probably the foremost reason why he was
detained. Today this doctor who devoted himself to treating the poor in
rural India is behind bars because he rightly perceived disease to be an
offshoot of social injustice.

Please read the petition to know more about this doctor who received a peace
prize very recently while still in prison.

Unfortunately today he himself is the victim of the same injustice that he
fought.

He is in solitary confinement for crimes he did not commit. The decision to
arrest him was taken before he could do anything wrong.

Please sign the petition. The good doctor should be released. We need more
doctors like him if we are to seek health in this diseased society of ours.

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS IN YOUR GROUPS. 14th MAY IS ONLY ONE DAY AWAY.