[Reader-list] FYI - Peace Journalism at SOAS in July

MATTI POHJONEN 125548 at soas.ac.uk
Tue May 20 16:50:25 IST 2008

All,

Thought you might find this interesting - for those who are in London.  See more information below,

Matti Pohjonen
Teaching Fellow in Digital Culture
Centre for Media and Film Studies
School of Oriental and African Studies
University of London

**

Sorry for the group email. You’ve received it because you took part in one of our public debates, perhaps in the Reporting the World series, or one of our media-savvy workshops; published, reviewed or contributed to something we wrote, or otherwise joined in the rich and stimulating conversations we enjoyed, while in London, about the media’s role in conflict and peace.

We’ve since moved to Sydney, where those ideas are being debated and developed, both among journalists and activists and in universities. We’re now completing the circle by bringing the dialogue back to London, with our course this Summer in Conflict-resolving Media (flyer attached).

It’s hosted by the School of Oriental and African Studies, in Bloomsbury, from July 7-11. Jake is then leading a course in Key Issues in Peace and Conflict Studies, going further into different theories, from July 21-25. See him in recent action on YouTube (the link is to the first of three parts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_Oq9IrY-w

These courses are part of Sydney University’s programme in Peace and Conflict Studies, which is now offered by a combination of short courses and distance learning. It means you can get a Masters degree without uprooting home and career – do contact us straight away for more information.

The London courses can also be followed, at reduced cost, as one-off courses. Details on the flyer.

If you’d like to enrol, you can do so from May 28 at:

www.usyd.edu.au/winter

Also… we could use your help. Could you pass on this email to anyone who might be interested? Could you display some, in your office or workplace, if we print some and send you them? Let us know your surface mail address and we’ll get some on their way.

This will be the only opportunity to study a university course in Peace and Conflict Studies, as such, in London. If you have an in-house magazine or newspaper, might that make an interesting story for them? More material supplied on request!

Hope all’s well with your own important work, keep it up…

Best wishes
--
Jake and Annabel

Associate Professor Jake Lynch, BA, Dip Journalism Studies, PhD
Annabel McGoldrick, BSc, MA
Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies
FACULTY OF ARTS
Room 121 | Mackie Building (K01)