[Reader-list] [Announcements] The Waste Land - Bangalore, '08

Logos Theatre logos.theword at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:10:33 IST 2008

Mixing memory...stirring a macchiato at Barista... Chamrajpet... Bagmane
Tech Park... Garuda Mall... Malleshwaram 11th Cross... hooded hordes on
hosur road... shoring fragments of memory...

How does one take one of the most well known literary texts of modern times,
and find it in one's immediate surroundings, while retaining its
universality?

How does one take a canonical text, yet treat it with irreverence and
playfulness?

How does one tell the stories of a city - this city, any city, The City,
through the music and mordant humour of Eliot's verse?

the SpeechMagic initiative, a part of Logos Theatre, presents The Waste Land
- Bangalore, '08 - a multimedia show mixing live performance with video,
installation and soundscape, based on T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land.

Living in this city, perhaps all of us, whether 'localite' or 'outsider',
have felt at times a sense of unreality - be it the arbitrary actions of an
administration that does not seem to follow any human system of logic, or
the excesses of an incompetent police force, the ludicrousness of 'magic
box' underpasses to the ever-shifting pattern of one ways that seem to be
part of a bizarre treasure hunt where the map keeps transforming. The
overpriced cups of tepid coffee at synthetic cafes, to the fast disappearing
traces of the city that was.
It is out of this sense of unreality, a sense of a vanishing beauty and the
growing cacophony of chaos, that this performance/installation was born. In
Eliot's text we found a reflection of the faultlines we see in the
urbanscape of this city, and we attempted to tell its story, using this
city's own sounds and images, a dash of dark humour, and our own dramatic
response.

Breaking the structure of a stage show where you sit for an hour and then
return unaffected, we have attempted to create an immersive environment
where, for up to three hours, you will be within and around the performance.
Structured more like an exhibition where some of the paintings/sculptures
are 'alive', there is no beginning, middle or end to this 'play' - you come
in anytime, and stay for as long as you wish. The sequences of the
performance happen around you, often more than one at the same time. You
choose what you want to watch, how many times you want to watch it, and when
you want to run away from the madness. Or you become a part of it, as you
are a part of the madness of this city.

Created and performed by: Joshua Williams, Abhijit Pakrashi, and
theStillDancer.

June 3rd and 4th, from 6 PM to 9 PM (last entry at 8 PM)

Tickets: Rs. 200/- (only through SMS)

text your name, date and number of tickets to:

9945799224 or 9886765198

--
Logos Theatre
          In the beginning was the word