[Reader-list] Thinking Through Figures on...

Kirdar kirdarsingh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:32:59 IST 2008

Dear Pawan
Yes why not - I am sure the subscribers of readers-list would be ready
to fight the injustice done to Kashmiri Pundits. I think the only
"trust-worthy" institution today is the judiciary which gives hope for
everyone. So, if your cause and campaign is genuine, any sane person
should support it.

BUT, but, but... The problem right now is, that having persued your
campaign on this list in such a brazen and loud manner, most often
using insuniating and insulting tone of language, some of you
(displaced Kashmiri Pundits) have killed your own cause. Secondly,
many of you think that the members on this list are being paid to run
a campaign against Indian nationalism and support terrorists. This is
absurd. What makes you think so. Do you have a proof for this.

As I have noticed, people like Shuddha take pains to collect
information and references to prove a point - that's why their posts
are so long. But most of you reject his logic and reasoning by saying
that you don't have time to go through such long mails. Tell me, you
don't have time to read it, or you don't know how to counter his
argument? For a moment, consider Sarai as a court of law where you
have to prove that Yasin Malik killed your brothers in Kashmir. If
Yasin Malik's advocate brings a lengthy argument in his favour, will
you try to counter it point by point, or simply abuse the lawyer by
calling him an anti-national? Do you think the judge in the court will
make his desicion in your favour simply because you are the vicitm
even if you can't make logical arguments. This is a simple question
for which I expect your answer. If you cannot engage people in
argument logically, and continue to make a "noise" about your being
victimized, how are you going to make people sympathatic towards your
plight. I symthasize with you, but I get iritated with your tone and
persistence.

So, my suggestion to you all (inlcuding responsible people in Sarai)
is to engage in a dialogue that could probably be carried on in a
court of law. This doesn't mean that you need to know all the laws. It
simply requires one thing: to stop doubting each other's intentions,
and respect the difference of opinion. But the ultimate goal is to
find resolutions to the current crisis. I doubt if there is anyone on
this list who is an enemey of the country or humanism. And please stop
all this non-sense about Jai some or the other. In this stupid
argument about Jai-whatever, I often get reminded of a lovely movie
song/bhajan (from film Guddi) that starts "Hum ko mann ki shakti
dena...", the second line conveys a powerful message for all aspiring
humanity-' Doosron ki jai se pehle khud ko jai karen', meaning,
"Before attempting to improve others, may we improve ourselves."

So, I say: jai myself

regards

Kirdar