[Reader-list] Congratulations America

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 01:46:39 IST 2008

Dear Gautam,
Nice piece of writing (as usual) but since I have in recent times
acquired a somewhat bleak view of larger political change, I was
throughout today thinking of the 2004 elections in India and what
heppened thereafter. Manmohan Singh came to power on the back of a
emphatic rejection of economic reforms (and the BJP variant of
communal politics). He then proceeded to anoint Montek Ahluwalia and
Chidambaram (he of the Dow Chemicals fame) in key positions. His first
trip outside Delhi was to Bombay where he expressed a wish that Bombay
become Shanghai, after which about 3 lakh people were forcibly thrown
out of their jhopad pattis.
I don't know how to say what I will without sounding arrogant. I too
am deeply glad that Obama is President and not McCain (and also that
Sarah Palin is not VP); Obama's vote if nothing else means too much
for black Americans, others in America (as your mail says) and for so
many others the world over. But for me he more so reflects change that
has already happened in the US and elsewhere, which his administration
will try their best to blunt. On foreign policy it is now old hat that
Democrats have been little different from Republicans since Vietnam,
including Clinton. On this too, Obama will reflect some change but
only slightly if I were to believe statements he has made on Pakistan,
Iraq and particularly his vice president's views on Iraq.
The key difference would perhaps be on domestic policy in the US,
particularly on the nature of intervention in the massive economic
crisis t faces. One hopes rather than lend money to banks alone, his
administration might push welfare, public spending, etc. Quite likely.
Without letting this mail run on for too long, he is President because
people are emphatically demanding more. So let's see how we can demand
even more (and also change things more fuindamentally) rather than be
easily satisfied. I can say that without being one iota less happy
that Obama has won.
Naga