[Reader-list] The Truth about Kashmir!

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:15:28 IST 2008

But if the film is to be authentic she WILL be covered from top to toe in a
black burqa, eyes peering out of thick spectacles.  What matter whether it's
Bips or Sanjay Dutt playing AA?

> From: Sanjay Kak <kaksanjay at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:10:13 +0530
> To: Sarai Reader List <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: [Reader-list] The Truth about Kashmir!
>
> For those on the Reader-list who have been waiting with bated breath for
> the
truth about Kashmir, the moment may well be near.
Bollywood's A list is
> all set to bring out the unvarnished truth.
And they are giving it their best:
> Screen saver favourite Bipasha Basu will
play Islamist Asiya Andrabi.
Please
http://www.risingkashmir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&i
> d=8133

"Bipasha to play Asiya in Lamha"

Rising Kashmir News
Srinagar, Nov
> 4:

Claiming that Sanjay Dutt, Kunal Kapoor and Bipasha Basu have
> pro-Kashmir
sentiments, Bollywood Director Rahul Dholakia Wednesday said that
> the
glamorous Bipasha will play Dukhtaran-e-Millat chairperson Asiya Andrabi
> in
his film 'Lamha'.
Addressing media persons here, Dholakia said that his
> film is entirely
pro-Kashmir and it will depict the real aspirations of
> Kashmiri people.
"This is a love story woven with boundless void of agony
> which Kashmiri
people are facing for the past 61 years. Without the help of
> Kashmiri people
I cannot do justice with my film," he said.
Spewing his anger
> against the unbridled powers of troops, paramilitary
forces and police in
> Kashmir, Dholakia said: "I may be hated in India but I
will show how army,
> CRPF and police are unleashing reign of terror on
innocent Kashmiris."
He
> claimed that leading artists of the film Sanjay Dutt, Kunal Kapoor and
Bipasha
> Basu are pro-Kashmir who are keen to reflect the real aspirations of
Kashmiri
> people.
"Bipasha Basu will play the role of Dukhtaran-e-Millat chairperson.
> She she
is entirely pro-Kashmiri in the film," Dholakia said.
He said Lamha
> has a potential to clear all pre-conceived notions about
Kashmir as the film
> will realistically portray Kashmir to the audience
around the world.
"The two
> years of my research about Kashmir suggest that all the Bollywood
films about
> Kashmir are fakes. I want to break this tradition. That is why I
want to shoot
> this film here with stars like Sanjay Dutt and Bipasha Basu,"
he added.
He
> revealed some scenes in his film wherein half-widows ask the Indian
troopers
> whereabouts of their husbands. "I have scenes like women holding
photos of
> their husbands who are missing since 17 years, common Kashmiris
being harassed
> by troops asking them to prove their identity and other
painful incidents
> which happen here everyday," Dholakia said. "There are
dialogues in the film
> where people say that if Aishwarya Rai sees moon or
not it makes breaking news
> for Indian media but in Kashmir the women who
have not seen their husbands
> since 17 years are not newsworthy."
Dholakia said that at the end of the day,
> a question will be asked to the
audience as to who should be held accountable
> for the ongoing tyranny in
Kashmir.
"When in a crackdown innocent Kashmiri
> girls are picked up and raped, no one
does anything about it. Indians have
> been made to believe that a Kashmiri is
a militant which is absolutely false,
> incorrect and ridiculous," he said.
Dholakia said he wants to convey that
> Kashmiris are most sensitive,
emotional and fine human beings who have been
> cheated year after year by
various