[Reader-list] Press Note : Condemn the vandalism of ABVP and RSS in Delhi University

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Nov 6 19:59:04 IST 2008

Dear all, dear hany babu,

I am shocked to read this note. Clearly the ABVP and its allies on
the campuses of our universities have become nothing short of
criminal gangs that seek to impose their writ through acts of violent
intimidation. No words are strong enough to condemn the incident that
has been reported below. It only goes to show that the 'culture' of
'cultural nationalists' of the ABVP variety is synonymous with plain
thuggery. That the concerned university authorities (the pro-vice
chancellor and the proctor) acted in a partisan manner and asked for
this meeting (for which prior permission had been sought and granted)
to be closed is deeply regrettable. They have profoundly compromised
their integrity and the dignity of their position by the manner in
which they have conducted themselves.

In any given public meeting, the public is invited to attend, and has
the right to ask questions and make critical comments if necessary.
That the ABVP chose not to do this, but to attack and disrupt the
meeting, and insult and harm the speakers, says all we need to know
about their capacity to enter and engage into a debate. They have
nothing to say. They have no facts, no arguments, no reasons, no
evidence. All that they have is muscle power, throat power,
meaningless and empty slogans, and the patronage of corrupted and
compliant authorities and the police.

This should be seen, not as a sign of their strength, but of their
pathetic weakness. They will not prevail.

best

Shuddha