[Reader-list] Condemn the vandalism

Sanjay Kak kaksanjay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:13:33 IST 2008

Dear Shuddha

I think you ought not to be shocked to read about the the vandalism of the
ABVP and RSS–and indeed the full range of the Far Right–in Delhi University.
There is now a lenthening history of their complete inability to hear
anything remotely challenging of their narrow and parochial views. To engage
intelligently with ideas–or even to ignore them–is beyond their jackbooted
imaginations.

So for us to bring in the issue of prior permissions is to turn once again
to an old and threadbare relief.
Like we have all realised with the Indian Film Censor board, and its
mythical protection of even "censor approved" films, when thugs (whether in
khaki shorts, khaki uniforms or indeed blue jeans) want to stop an event,
the law is ever willing to step aside.

A month ago I was invited to the opening event of a cultural festival–the
first ever–in the Law Faculty at Delhi University. There was to be a
screening of my film about the troubles in Kashmir, Jashn-e-Azadi (How we
celebrate freedom), followed by a discussion with the students. I walked
into the campus at the appropriate hour: there were banners all over
announcing the festival (and the screening, and the discussion). Very
cheerful and promising.

But half an hour before the event was to begin the local Station House
Officer (probably the same helpful cop, Mr Joshi) called up the
"Authorities" and had the screening cancelled. Why? Because the self-same
ABVP–or someone pretending to be them–had threatened to disrupt the
screening.

Interestingly when I walked into the room–to begin the usual ritual of the
lighting of a lamp (!)–the "Authority" who had agreed to the festival, the
screening, and the discussion, and who was the recepient of the SHO's call,
was represented by his name-plate on the dias. This was clearly not a case
of prior permission not having been taken. He had simply disappeared to
avoid being embarrassed.
In a word: Capitulation.

We did not all keel over and melt, like the "Authorities". The students, a
few of the faculty, and I used the platform to discuss the politics of
censorship and of Kashmir, the censorship of Kashmir and it's politics, and
the intricate links between the two. For a straight two hours. And rumour
has it that on the next available occasion the students managed to screen a
pirated preview copy on their own. (What if SHO Joshi heard about that?
Heavens!)

What happened in Delhi University yesterday must be contested and fought.
We can't let the foot-soldiers of the right–with their paranoid fears of
being brain-washed–decide who has the right to speak, and on what. At least
not on this campus.

Best

Sanjay Kak