[Reader-list] Dont let the Hindu right take over our universities!!

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 04:47:45 IST 2008

All of us should be really concerned the way the democratic political
processes are being vitiated in the universities in India. They irritate
you, intimidate you; if you still dare to speak, they rusticate you (get rid
of you by any means, even if murder).
ABVP have perfected the art of browbeating, NSUI are almost there. SFI, well
they are not really different from NSUI, so almost there.

ABVP, self-styled custodians of Hindu religion, will not mind smearing the
face of their teacher before lynching him to death. We have people on this
list who have defended the murderers of Prof. Sabbarwal. I wonder if they
know anything about the religion who they think sanctions the violence
perpetrated by them. The teacher in Hindu religion is more important than
any God. So what? They have killed the God to take his place. Guru cannot be
more difficult than killing God!!! I am not really worried about God,
teachers and students need to unite to get rid of such goons in academic
institutes.

I was pretty impressed by the absence of acrimony between opposing camps in
the political campaigns in the universities in the US. India is also a
democratic country I believe. At least it used to be. If democratic process
is thwarted in the Universities, I wonder where can it survive.