[Reader-list] DU allows ‘seminar’ blasting Govt; Geelani is star speaker

Shivam V lists at shivamvij.com
Sat Nov 8 18:34:36 IST 2008

You can see this epaper report of the incident in the Hindustan Times:
http://tamasha.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/spitting-at-geelani.pdf

It has pictures of the spitting incident.

It is clear that the ABVP members were out to deny SAR Geelani his
right to freedom of expression, which is guaranteed by the
Constitution. Geelani is not in jail, not on remand custody, not
convicted, and not asked by a court of law or a magistrate not to
speak in public (as is the case with Raj Thackeray from time to time).

There has also been some spitting on this list. Aditya Raj Kaul, Pawan
Durani and others who defend this act, should by extension be denied
their right to free speech on this list. They should be removed by the
list administrator.

best
shivam

o o  o

November 4, 2006
HT Correspondent
New Delhi, November 07, 2008
First Published: 00:57 IST(7/11/2008)
Last Updated: 00:59 IST(7/11/2008)

Ugly scenes mar DU seminar

A group of activists belonging to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi
Parishad (ABVP) on Wednesday went on the rampage at Delhi University.
The group vandalised the venue of a seminar in protest against the
presence of SAR Geelani, acquitted in the Parliament attack case and
at present, lecturer in Zakir Hussain College.

Amid the chaos, one activist spat on Geelani. The mob, headed by Delhi
University Students Union president and ABVP member Nupur Sharma
damaged property and hurled abuse on Geelani at the seminar on
'Communalism, Fascism and Democracy, Rhetoric and Reality', disrupting
the programme briefly.

The incident took place at the Arts Faculty in Delhi University's
North Campus. ABVP activists went on damaging the windows, doors,
chairs and the microphone to disrupt the meeting.

"We will not let a terror suspect give a talk on Hindu terrorism in
the University. Geelani was acquitted on technical grounds. He even
approached the Supreme Court to clear his name but the court refused,"
said Sharma.

The violence only stopped after police came in large numbers and
detained the activists.

The University Community –– an independent group of students and
teachers of DU, which had organised the seminar, condemned the
violence.

"The violence happened in police presence and DU authorities too sided
with the ABVP goons. The University should lodge an FIR against the
guilty and action should be taken imediately," said Harsh Bora,
student at PGDAV College and member of the Community.

To lodge their protest the Community members would hold march at Arts
Faculty on Thursday, said Bora.

In response, ABVP issued a statement saying the country was witnessing
a difficult phase as terrorism and anti-social activities were
increasing. "At this stage, inviting a person like Geelani shows sick
mentality of the organisers. Are we going to invite Afzal Guru to
Delhi University in future if he is released from jail?" the statement
said.

Geelani meanwhile asked students to fight for democratic values and
debunk efforts by forces to target certain individuals and terrorise a
community. "This is a trailer of fascism. The fact that we held the
meeting shows that we succeeded to beat the fascist forces," Geelani
said.

DU authorities said action would be taken against the errant students.
"Law will take its own course against whoever has done this," said
Gurmeet Singh, Proctor, DU.

Earlier this year, ABVP activists had been arrested after they
vandalised the office of the History Department head S. Z. H. Jafri
protesting against certain "objectionable" portions in the B.A.
History (Honours) syllabus.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print.aspx?Id=bf371038-438b-42f5-bd25-d14504de1764

(c) Copyright 2007 Hindustan Times

mail at shivamvij dot com