[Reader-list] Ralph Nader, "White" Boy?

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:38:20 IST 2008

Not sure if you were being tongue-in-cheek regarding Elvis, but Ralph Nader
is definitely Arab-American. During his first run, the press even made
something of the fact that he was the first Arab-American Presidential
candidate (thus making him another minority candidate after Jesse Jackson).
Of course Nader's identity is as a consumer advocate, not as Arab American,
and he himself rarely talks about it, so this never gets much play (nor does
it have to, a man's free to identify as he likes).

I agree that Nader calling Obama "Uncle Tom" is off the mark, and people are
understandably riled by the comments, but Davey D's guest blogger calling
Nader a "white boy" is also an incomplete reading.