[Reader-list] "Train Services Thrills Kashmir"

Shivam V lists at shivamvij.com
Sun Nov 9 15:47:33 IST 2008

A bridge too far

Bhavna Vij-Aurora
October 10, 2008
http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&issueid=68&id=17182&Itemid=1&sectionid=36

Nearly a decade after work began on an ambitious plan to connect
Kashmir's mountainous villages with the rest of the country by a
railway link, it has come apart with Lalu Prasad Yadav's Ministry
doing a sudden U-turn and abandoning work on the longest section
between Katra and Qazigund.

This section is the crucial part of the 346-km railway link. The
Jammu-Udhampur section was completed in April 2005. Construction from
the other end of the line has also made considerable progress but now
it appears that they may never meet since the fate of the major
connecting section is in limbo.

It seems to have suddenly dawned on the Railway Board that the
alignment of the 148 km-stretch is all wrong, and now they propose a
relatively shorter (92 km) alternate alignment, based on "toposheet
and satellite imageries".

And who do they blame for the loss of Rs 2,000 crore and 10 years of
hard work? "It was a political decision. In 2002, prime minister
Vajpayee announced that Srinagar will be connected with the rest of
the country through a railway line. We were forced to start the work
without proper surveys," claims Railway Board Member (Engineering)
S.K. Vij.

"It was my decision to stop work. For four-and-a-half years that the
work on the section has been going on, it is all wrong professionally
and from the engineering point of view," he says. His statement is,
however, refuted by engineers and experts.

"What Vajpayee did was to declare it a national project and ensure
that funds would be available. There is no point politicising the
issue just because the Railways have messed it up," says an engineer
with the project.

S.P.S. Jain and R.R. Jaruhar, who supervised the work before Vij,
counter the claim that the existing alignment is not feasible and also
that work on the section had begun without proper surveys. "For the
first time, the Railways used Digital Laser Terrain Modelling.

Remote sensing and satellite imagery were used to get the exact
alignment. It was mapped in great detail. Geological and seismic
studies were conducted. Aerial surveys were also done. This was
followed by physical surveys of most of the terrain," says a technical
officer in the Railways.

That it is a prestige project is evident by the fact that Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh too has been tracking its progress. Alarmed by
the turn of events, his office has asked for a status report on the
project and reasons for stopping the work on the section.

The decision to stop work has also invited queries from the Cabinet
Secretariat, Planning Commission and the Finance Ministry.

The Konkan Railway Construction Ltd (KRCL), incharge of the disputed
section, and Indian Railway Construction Company, which is
constructing the adjoining section, have told the Railways that they
have no problems with the present alignment but the ministry has given
written directions to KRCL not to commence any new work.

The ministry's order says: "Other than the main road works, all works
on the entire section with M/s KRCL be pended (sic) till further
advice."

Jaruhar says, "We knew right from the beginning that Katra-Qazigund
section is not going to be easy. We had to cross the Chenab and tunnel
through the Pir Panjal ranges. But technically, we knew it was
possible. It still is. Minor changes in alignment have been made along
the way, and more can be made. A completely new alignment is a waste
of money and time."

In fact, it can push the deadline for completion of the line to as
late as 2025. Vij presents a more optimistic picture. "Not before
2015," he says. Restarting the work on new alignment would take
another five to seven years since the process will have to begin from
scratch.

The plan, according to the Railways' engineering chief, is to get a
geological survey of the new proposed alignment done and follow it up
with an on-the-ground survey. Following that, tenders would be called
and awarded, and only then would work recommence.

"We are going to get a geological survey done by an Austrian expert at
a cost of Rs 10 crore. Meanwhile, an expert committee has been
constituted to study the alignments and take a view," Vij says. The
committee is still to be cleared by the railway minister, however.

Government sources say that, irrespective of the views of the
committee, the Railways will have to go back to the Cabinet for any
change in the alignment since it is a national project funded by the
Government.

Moreover, the line was envisioned more as a strategic and
psychological project with international ramifications. The claims and
counters only cloud the issue further.

"The idea was to connect Kashmiris even in the remotest areas to the
rest of the country. The new proposed alignment defeats the very idea.
The existing alignment was chosen since it connects more than 50
villages, as against barely seven in the new one," says a senior
bureaucrat.

Whatever the eventual fate of the project, its diplomatic and
political impact means that politics, and not economics, will cast the
final vote. Till then, the project stays derailed.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Kshmendra Kaul <kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1 Pic and 2 News Reports
>
> 1. Pic at http://chinadaily.com.cn/world/2008-10/11/content_7097186.htm
>
> 2. "Train services thrills Kashmir " at http://etalaat.com/english/News/front-page/3150.html
>
> Etalaat News  Service
> Srinagar, October 12: On the first day of its commercial run in   Kashmir, hundreds of commuters travelled in rail today between various stations from Budgam to Anantnag.
>
> The train chugged off from Budgam at 7.25 A.M. with 300 passengers on board who were excited to have the first experience of rail travel in the Valley. Another 400 commuters boarded the train to Anantnag on its journey back. The number of passengers kept swelling as the train touched the next stations. By the time it arrived in Srinagar, there was no vacant seat available in the 588-seat capacity train and a large number of passengers had to travel while keeping standing.
>
> The train left the Anantnag station at 9.18 A.M. and arrived at Budgam at 10.50 A.M.
> The passengers - men, women and children - were highly enthusiastic about being among the first commercial passengers of the train that had been eagerly waited to run through the landscape of Kashmir. Many spoke about the joy and ecstasy they felt on being part of the history in making.
>
> Manzoor Ahmad of Budgam who was the first to alight from the train at Wanpoh, Anantnag station said that he considered himself to be very lucky for being the first passenger to have de-boarded at the end of the first commercial run of the train in Kashmir. He was one of the 450 passengers who alighted from the 8 coaches at Wanpoh as the train completed the maiden commercial run.
>
> In the second run of the day, 465 passengers de-boarded at Anantnag while 370 boarded the train there.
>
> The train was flagged off by the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh at Srinagar Railway Station yesterday with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Governor, N. N. Vohra and Minister for Railway, Lalu Prasad Yadev witnessing the historic event.
>
> Chief Area Manager, Srinagar  P. K. Gupta said that the rail service has reduced the travel time for commuters by more than half. "On the top of it", he said, "It is more comfortable than road travel". He said that from Anantnag to reach Budgam it would normally take two and a half hour by road but the distance is covered by train in an hour and six minutes only.
>
> The passengers agree with him and also like the heating arrangements in the bogies. Riaz Ahmad of Nogam said that he had waited long for this momentous day to arrive and felt on cloud 9 to be on board the first commercial service.
>
> Gupta believes that the enthusiasm shown by the people was more than he had expected.
> [...]

mail at shivamvij dot com