[Reader-list] An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

V Ramaswamy rama.sangye at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:33:34 IST 2008

The Editor
New York Times

Dear Sir,

A propos Somini Sengupta's article,  "An Artist in Exile Tests
India's Democratic Ideals" (NYT, 8 November 2008), as a citizen of India and
of Calcutta, I would like to welcome Mr Husain to return to India, and come
to Calcutta - there's a direct flight here from Dubai - and permit me to
offer him my hospitality and protection, for as long as he wants. Mr Husain
is not a stranger to Calcutta, and he has a host of friends and well-wishers
here, including the Azad Hind Dhaba on Promotesh Barua Sarani (Ballygunge
Circular Road), a well-known eating joint, especially known to late night
revelers, which also houses his wall-painting "Gaja Gamini". I believe I
speak for many of my fellow citizens when I say that I have no doubt he
would be able to live in comfort and utmost security in Calcutta, and thus
establish that democratic ideals do survive, even if they don't always
flourish, in beleaguered India and Calcutta.
Sincerely,

V Ramaswamy