[Reader-list] An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 16:29:20 IST 2008

Dear Shivam
As you may have noticed, I also posted this news to the Jamia Millia alumni group (which has hundreds of current and ex-students of Jamia) for a specific reason. Since you have talked about Hussain offending both religions, I would like to mention an interesting (and also disturbing) debate we've been having here. For everyone's information, Delhi's Jamia Millia Islamia (a central university) has recently inaugurated a brand new art gallery named after none other than Maqbool Fida Hussain, a very bold step not only in the current controversy of Hussain's nude deity pictures, but also in the context of Jamia's rather orthodox history. Curently the gallery is showing paintings of several well-known Indian artists including Satish Gujral, Hussain and others. The gallery was visited during the recently concluded Talimi mela (educational fair) by thousands of people including burqa-clad women and bearded clerics coming from Jamia's neighborhood.

The debate that has started recently in Jamia (especially on the alumni e-group) shows that a majority of Muslim students are unhappy on two accounts: (1) Hussain paints Hindu deities, which is un-Islamic any way, and (2) he hurts the sentiments of Hindus, which is indirectly a problem for "us". So why should we have a gallery named after him. It was interesting that a few extremist "Hindu" and "Muslim" students actually came down to agree entirely on this point, and both of them wrote against the lone pseudo-secularist. Each of them kept asking readers to "go and visit Hussain's hurtful paintings on the net to decide for yourself" - a large chunk of our youth getting educated entirely on the net has probably never visited a good arts gallery.

I will try to forward you some of the discussions on the forum, in which we talked for example about nudity, stretching it all the way to Adam and Eve, and so on. But ultimately, it was decided that "whatever is bad for Muslims, is bad for all humanity" and that's the decision of the jury.

Unfortunate times for the art. I am jittery about the future of this arts gallery - from both sides. See this:

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/5690.html

Yousuf