[Reader-list] A YEAR OF SHAME

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Nov 11 01:02:23 IST 2008

Aditya,

There are some kinds of statements that need proof, and others that
do not. I will try and explain why in this mail. But any simple
textbook of logic will do the job better than me. Nevertheless, let
me try.

Statements about beliefs (not beliefs themselves) are one kind of
statement. Statements about facts (which may or may not be beliefs)
are another kind of statement. The first do not require proofs, the
second do.

I do not recall  calling you a terrorist. That I have been called a
terrorist is another matter. I also have avoided calling individuals
on the list 'fundamentalist' or 'extremist'. In any case, epithets
like 'fundamentalist' or 'extremist' are acts of interpretation. They
are opinions. One can argue whether or not an individual or a
political tendency shows signs of being 'fundamentalist' or
'extremist', ie whether or not the opinion has any resonance with
facts, because this is a judgement about the degree of moderation in
beliefs and actions that a particular person does or does not
display. And close obsrevation of the persons behavious is all that
we need to settle any case of dispute.

  I have not objected to being called a terrorist. Not because I am
one. I abhor and detest terrorism. But because a statement about
'belief' can neither be proved, nor disproved. There can be proof for
whether or not a person has or has not committed an act of terror,
because that is a fact. But 'terrorism',  as in a belief in the
efficacy of terror, unless there are verifiable statements that say
that one is a terrorist, can neither be proven, nor disproven.

For the same reason that  you cannot prove whether or not a person
believes in god, if they are silent about their beliefs. Their belief
can be known only to them. Similarly if a person is a silent believer
in terrorism, this can neither be proved, nor disproved. That is why
I avoid arguments that rely on labelling people in terms of what they
may or may not believe in.

I have talked at times of fundamentalist or extremist politics and I
have always condemned fundamentalists and extremists of every
variety. If anything I have have called you a nationalist. I am
against every kind of nationalism. But surely, even you call yourself
a nationalist. Nationalism, in this case is not an allegation, a
conjecture that you are indeed a nationalist, rather it is a
statement in tacit agreement with your own description of yourself.
It is simply a description of a particular political position.
Neither I nor you need to prove that if we are both in agreement
about the fact that you are indeed a nationalist.

By the way, I have never mentioned anything about you blackening
anyone's face. That hasn't stopped you from making allegations about
people being paid agents.  The question of being or not being a 'paid
agent' is not a matter of interpretation, or degree. One cannot have
a 'tendency' towards being paid, as if bribery were on some sliding
scale or continuous spectrum of facticity. One is either paid, or not
paid. There is no ambiguity or interpretative leeway in this matter.
That is why this is the kind of statement that needs proof. I am
still waiting for that proof.

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS