[Reader-list] The benefit of 'glitch' in Sarai Reader List & Digest frequency

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 19:31:05 IST 2008

When there is a 'glitch' in this List, mails are not received by subscribers within a couple of minutes of their being posted by the sender as they otherwise are during 'normal' functioning.

The benefit of this is that there is very little stacatto and furtive exchange of what are often mindless mails. A reasonable interval of say 2 hours for the mail to be delivered would, in my opinion, help both the 'sender' and the 'recipient' to cool down and do some thinking towards a more reasoned exchange.

There is a downside to this.

Being used to seeing their mail getting transmitted within a couple of minutes, the 'senders' are seen to re-post their mail, presuming there was a posting-error. This will be done away with once the 'reasonable interval' becomes the norm.

I have a comment about the frequency with which "Digests" get sent. All too frequent.

I persuaded a friend recently to subscribe to the List. Being aware of the volume of 'traffic', I advised the 'Digest' option for receiving mails. With the number of "Digests" that were received per day, it was only the physical distance that saved me from getting assaulted.

A couple of "Digests" in 24 hours is well-digested. At the current frequency it is indigestion.

Kshmendra