[Reader-list] On Arguing, Stammering and Spitting

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Nov 11 21:11:57 IST 2008

Dear Kirdar, Yousuf, Gargi, Inder, Aarti, Aashima and others

I think the discussion regarding the recent accusations made on this
list, despite having been occasioned by an unfortunate excess of
words, have been productive. I am writing this mail by way of
response to the points that many of you have raised seperately. I
hope that you will excuse me for bunching them all together in one
mail. I do not wish to overcrowd all our mail boxes this evening more
than what has been done already.

Let me say at the outset that I have learnt a great deal from the
experience of having to argue with positions contrary to mine on
Kashmir on this list. I have no hesitation in saying that. My request
for a ban on two named individuals does not, as might be noticed,
involve everyone who takes a different position (and there are shades
within these differences) from mine on Kashmir, India, nationalism,
Islam or the state form; not Rashneek (though he did on occasion lob
at me words that imply that I was a 'terrorist' or maintained
relationships with 'terrorists') not Chanchal Malviya, not Vedavati,
not Lalit Ambardar, and certainly not Kshmendra Kaul. I respect,
welcome, enjoy difference. And though I think that we must not let a
discussion on Kashmir or India or confessional identities drown the
list, I maintain that they are important, necessary and have their
place.

However, I do agree with Kirdar, that apart from the fact that Pawan
Durani and Aditya Raj Kaul have practiced libel, (which in my view is
sufficient reason to eject them from this list) they also do take up
a lot of the time and energy of the list by compelling us to respond,
over and over again to the same kind of posts. I do not think this is
good for the health of the list. This is my personal opinion, though
of course, I will abide by the evolving consensus of the list and the
decision of the moderator.

  There is hardly ever anything new or even reasonably eye-opening in
what Aditya Raj Kaul and Pawan Durani say. Other than 'Yasin Malik is
a terrorist', 'X, Y, Z are paid agents', or statements that suggest
that anyone who questions the methods and tactics of the Indian
state's so called 'war on terror' is a sympathiser with terrorism. if
not a terrorist themselves, and the occasional tired anti-
totalitarian-left jibe (aimed at whom, I do not know, because i have
yet to come across a Reader List poster singing peans to Stalin, Mao,
Enver Hoxha or Pol Pot), they have very little else to say.

Because this is a publicly archived list, someone or the other ends
up having to respond to their posts, for the sake of the record, just
as repetitively as them. Which in a sense continues to drown and
crowd out other voices, other issues, other tones and registers of
writing. This is why, though I will continue to engage with an Indian
nationalist position on Kashmir  honestly, critically and with all
due respect as and when it emanates from other list members, I will
have no difficulty in bidding farewell to the exhausting business of
finding myself feeling compelled to deal with Pawan Durani and Aditya
Raj Kaul on a daily, sometimes hourly basis. Also because, I do not
believe that the endless clarifications and corrections that I have
to post to their outpourings do not necessarily lead to a significant
increase in anyone's knowledge. They merely do damage control. And if
there is no damage, there will be no need for an eternity of damage
control.

That might free up some more time and energy for me to share some of
my other interests and curiositites, and engage and learn from the
interests and curiosities of other list members. My life, let me
assure you, does not begin and end at the Banihal Pass.

Incidentally, Pawan Durani is incorrect when he says in his last post
that i demanded his exclusion once before on this list, and then
apologized. I did accuse him once of defamation, and asked for an
explaination, but unlike this time, did not ask for a ban. And once
it was pointed out to me by him that he had not said exactly what I
had thought he had said (that I was a member of an 'ML type of
organization' ) i apologized. I find bans repugnant, and I find
myself compelled to demand one this time, because I think that a
concrete offense has been committed, and that this offence, since it
violates the trust and confidence that we all share in this list is
sufficient reason for me to demand the removal of the two concerned
individuals. I was waiting to see if there was even the slightest
hint of remorse, regret or apology in their conduct, subsequent to
the posting that I made detailing their false allegations. I have
seen none. I personally think that we do not need to engage any
further with these individuals.

Aashima has raised a very important and interesting point, and I
think it relates to what I have just said. How does the textual
equivalent of 'spitting' relate to  what we in Raqs mean by stammers,
mumbles, tics etc.? In the text that she refers to, (a link to which
on the e-flux journal was posted by Jeebesh some days ago) we argue
for a sympathy for the illegible and caution against the overwhelming
demand for legibility that assails us all. My understanding of our
reservations regarding the cult of legibility is as follows. We are
often at a loss about what to say, circumstances overwhelm us, our
situations become way too complicated, we are too ecstatic, grieved,
wonder-struck, or ill or nervous to be legible. We stammer, we
mumble, we scrawl, we let our tics run away with us. There is a way
in which these circumstances force our somatic, phatic registers to
take over. Our vocal cords and vocalization musculature overrule our
ability to form clear or coherent or legible sounds, our fingers fail
our ability to write letters, we blush, we shiver. A stammer occurs
often when we are forced to say things that we might hesitate to
otherwise, or we are forced to speak in conditions that are not
comfortable. Or there is some other

A spit (and its textual-discursive analogue in the form of invective)
on the other hand is a deliberate expectoration. it is quite
different from a retch, a belch, a drool or the involuntary spasm
that accompanies a bout of vomiting. In each of these our ability to
control what escapes the oral orifice is compromised by the dire
straits our body finds itself in. A spit (the kind that I am talkng
about) on the other hand is the result of a considered decision to
eject a projectile of concentrated hostility. You have to 'work up' a
spit. Try doing it, and you will see exactly what I mean.

A false accusation is a similar thing. The person who makes it knows
that he has no ground to stand on while making the accusation, and
still goes ahead and makes it. It can only stems from the arrogance
that underwrites the notion that one will not be challenged, or if
challenged, one has enough lung or muscle power to 'take care' of the
challenge. If a stammer is the kind of response that happens when we
don't know what to say, then a false accusation (a verbal-textual
spit) is the deliberate saying of that which we know we have no
reason to say. In the first instance, the imposition is on the
speaker, and in the second, on the listener-reader. They point, in my
view, to two different ends of the dynamics of utterance and power.

I hope I have been clear. Thank you for the opportunity to think this
through.

regards,

Shuddha

(for those who might be interested,

from
Stammer, Mumble, Sweat, Scrawl, and Tic
Raqs Media Collective

E-Flux Journal, Issue 0, November 2008

To be legible is to be readable. To be legible is to be an entry in a
ledger—one with a name, place, origin, time, entry, exit, purpose and
perhaps a number. To be legible is to be coded and contained. Often,
when asked an uncomfortable question, or faced with an unsettling
reality, the rattled respondent ducks and dives with a stammer, a
mumble, a sweat, a scrawl, or a nervous tic. The respondent may not
be lying, but may not be interested in either offering a captive
legible truth to the interrogator or to his circumstances.

An insistence on legibility produces its own shadow, the illegible.
Between the bare-faced lie and the naked truth lies the zone of
illegibility—the only domain where the act of interpretation retains
a certain ontological and epistemic significance.

We read each other for signs, not because we are opaque, or
necessarily wish for opacity, but because our desires, fears, and
experiences still require the life-giving breath of translation. The
transparency that brooks no translation also requires no engagement.

The tree of life, and therefore of art, would be barren were it not
for the fruit of occasional misunderstandings.

to read more - see - http://www.e-flux.com/journal/view/14