[Reader-list] An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

V Ramaswamy rama.sangye at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:08:03 IST 2008

(this did no reach earlier, sent on 10 Nov)

Thank you KK and Shivam.
As there are a large number of cases against Mr Husain, which have the
intention only of harassing him and depriving him of his democratic rights
and equal citizenship, I think a petition could be filed in the Supreme
Court of India appealing for the protection of Mr Husain's rights. I would
hope that the Supreme Court would pass an order that would render all the
legal cases against him inapplicable, or prevent any trouble to him - such
as arrest or need to appear in courts - besides ordering suitable punishment
to all those who attempt to harass him.

I shall discuss this matter with my fellow members of the Kolkata
International Foundation for Art, Literature & Culture, to see if KIFALC can
make such a petition. I believe a group of citizens who cherish our
democratic ideals and are well-wishers of Mr Husain can definitely be
mobilised to make such a petition.

The law may be an ass, but if Mr Husain saw the donkey as a symbol of
non-violence (which, interestingly, the Bengali writer, Subimal Misra also
does, e.g. in his story "Moydaney Takaar Gach"), then I have no doubt he
would stand vindicated.

Best

V Ramaswamy