[Reader-list] Fwd: Invite: Identity Politics, Nationality Issue and Human Rights Response

Aashish Gupta aashu.gupta20 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:10:17 IST 2008

*People's Union for Civil Liberties – Tamil Nadu & Puducherry*

42 (Old No. 85).  I Floor, Opp. Syndicate Bank, Armenian Street,  Chennai
600 001

Ph.: 25352459;  rightstn at yahoo.com

*President*
*General Secretary*

Dr. V. Suresh (94442-31497)
        S. Balamurugan (9443213501)

*Invitation to a Panel Discussion*

On

*Identity Politics, Nationality Issue and Human Rights Response*

On

15th November, 2008 (Saturday), *2.30 to 5.30 pm* at

*Venue*

AICUF House, 125, Sterling Road, (near Loyola College), Nungambakkam,
Chennai 600034

*Panelists*

Mr. Rajinder Sachar, former CJ, Delhi High Court, former President, National
PUCL

Mr. Inquilab, eminent Poet

Mr. Bhagwan Singh, Senior Journalist

*The Context*

Violence against Biharis in Maharashtra, attacks against Maharashtrians in
Haryana, UP and other northern states; attacks against Biharis in Assam; the
bomb strikes across Assam killing scores of people; the Amarnath temple
controversy in Kashmir; the Orissa attacks against minorities; the mass
deaths of Tamils in Sri Lanka…The violence and death toll continues; and the
situation is turning grimmer by the day.

            In this dismal scenario, suddenly there are some changes in both
the nature of politics and the political discourse. Arrest of members of
majority community fundamentalist groups in terror attacks in Malegaon in
Maharashtra and their dubbing as terrorists has suddenly broken the smug and
complacent superiority of Hindutva groups dubbing all minority groups as
terrorist. Suddenly finding themselves dubbed as `terrorist' is not
comfortable.

            The debate as to whether the Sri Lankan issue is one of `civil
war' and not `terrorism' has suddenly changed the political discourse on
violence. The proposal of Barack Obama of the appointment of former US
president Bill Clinton as Special Envoy for Kashmir, has raised the hackles
of the Indian state establishment decrying the move as interference in a
bilateral issue. Political parties in Tamil Nadu, however want the
international community to intervene in Sri Lanka.

            Issues of identity politics and nationality struggles are
changing character. How do we, as members of the human rights movement,
understand these changes? What stand should we take?

            We invite you to the beginnings of a new discussion on these
issues.

*PLEASE DO SHARE THIS INVITATION WITH OTHERS!*

                                                                        Dr.
V. Suresh, S. Balamurugan