[Reader-list] Patta Chitra Katha?

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 16:51:59 IST 2008

I must thank you for helping me learn something new about India.

You might also like to look at the link
http://www.orissatourism.org/handicrafts-of-orissa.html

Here it talks about "PATTA" not as a Leaf but as Cloth:

"""" Patta chitras are miniature paintings, used as wall hangings with religious themes as their subject matter. Legends from the lives of Lord Krishna are mainly depicted on this specially treated cloth known as Patta."""""

Elsewhere the "PATTA" is mentioned as Silk Cloth. Orissa has a rich tradition of various weaves and textures for silk

Someone proficient in the language Oriya (hopefully from this List) should be able to clarify whether PATTA is Leaf or a Cloth.