[Reader-list] Patta Chitra Katha?

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 22:55:45 IST 2008

thanks very much Prem and to everyone else who has replied onlist &
offlist. I've been compiling your info to my blog @
http://www.aliak.com/content/patta-chitra-katha-traditional-folk-art-storytelling-using-visual-language
so I can keep track of it and find out more.

it's just so interesting. I'm glad to hear that the artform is still
being practiced, though it's a shame they're not using the traditional
methods. I guess everything changes eventually. I hope the original
techniques are not lost completely.

when I was in Delhi in 2006 I bought a small painting from dilli haat
but it was on paper & I've seen the miniature paintings at the art
gallery but I didn't understand or make the 'link' to this artform
(perhaps they're different in anycase as I'm not sure where the
artists were based & sometimes I don't hear what they say properly)

it would be interesting to try paint some on cloth with home made
vegetable paints (if I can work out how to make paint out of veges :)

it's interesting to see the more modern stories painted by artists &
read about them on the indigoarts site. (but I notice it's a US site?
so hopefully the artists benefit as they should - in Australia there
have been problems with galleries selling indigenous artists works and
the artists not being rewarded)

thanks again to everyone!
cheers
kath