[Reader-list] Bamiyan

Paul Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 00:16:48 IST 2008

The Japanese artist Hiro Yamagata was trying to reconstruct the
Buddhas of Bamiyan with laser/hologram projection. Extra electricty
derived from solar panels was going to be used to power local villages
etc etc But ahem, he was threatened with being beheaded. End of project.
Paul

Artist to recreate Afghan Buddhas

Afghanistan's famous Bamiyan Buddhas are due to be recreated by
multicoloured laser images projected onto the cliffs where they once
stood.

The 1,600-year-old statues, which stood on the Silk Road in the
Bamiyan Valley, were destroyed by the Taleban in 2001.

Artist Hiro Yamagata will use solar and wind power to project a series
of images onto four miles of clay cliffs.

Afghan government officials, who approached the Japanese artist in
2003, are awaiting approval from Unesco.

Fourteen laser systems would project 140 faceless images, standing up
to 175ft (52.5m) tall, onto the cliff-face for four hours every Sunday
night.

I'm doing a fine art piece. That's my purpose - not for human rights,
or for supporting religion or a political statement
Hiro Yamagata

United Nations cultural organisation Unesco must assess whether the
laser beams could damage the cliffs.

"If there is a way to do it so there is no environmental impact, we
would support it as it would boost tourism," said Habiba Sarobi,
governor of the Bamiyan province.

"The images would remind us of what (the Buddhas) once looked like."

Yamagata estimated the project would cost $9m (£5m) and that it would
be completed by June 2007.

Hiro Yamagata
Yamagata's works recently featured at Bilbao's Guggenheim museum

The California-based artist, who visited Bamiyan in 2003, hoped his
artwork would give something back to the war-torn region by using the
imported windmills to provide power for surrounding villages.

He also planned to employ local workers to build the foundations for
the windmills.

"Many people say, 'My art will heal the people,'" said Yamagata. "Of
course I help people, but it's more about not harming people."

"I'm doing a fine art piece. That's my purpose - not for human rights,
or for supporting religion or a political statement."

Zahir Aziz, Afghan ambassador to Unesco, confirmed that an earlier
Swiss plan to rebuild the Buddhas at the cost of $30m (£16.8m) per
statue had been discarded.