[Reader-list] pornographic seach / poetry search

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Sun Nov 23 12:38:50 IST 2008

Hmm, this is interesting; I'm sure there are all kinds of hidden
mitigating factors, and somewhere like China probably doesn't show up
anywhere because people are not searching in English, but still.

I looked up google searches for "poetry" and it turns out Pakistan is
no.1 by a large margin:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=poetry&cmpt=q

(ah, I could have guessed it, those mushy, sentimental Pakistanis!)...
with the US a very distant second.  What is also interesting is that
worldwide interest in poetry declines very sharply in tandem with the
plunging stock market!

However, when the search is repeated for "poem", neither Pakistan nor
the US show up in the top ten and the list is headed instead by the
Philippines and Myanmar:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=poem&cmpt=q

... with the hopeful caveat that interest in poems does not decline as
sharply with stock market crises as interest in poetry.

Anyway, does this mean that in Pakistan there is a greater sense of
poetry as a continual process, while those in Myanmar and the
Philippines are more invested in individual poems as objects ???!

Vivek