[Reader-list] 2025: the end of US dominance

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:42:39 IST 2008

Dear Rana,

I wonder what is the motive behind these prognostications. The fragments of
the report that you cite are full of events and situations which are a part
of our contemporary consciousness. Hindsight bias is generously spread all
through the document. The proposition that future will be uncertain and
tumultuous is in fact no proposition at all. It is a FACT. This report reads
like one more attempt to circulate fear and precariousness which is more or
less a 'normal' aspect of our times. Is it an attempt to make meaning of the
present by 'informing' us of the future? And will this meaning be used as a
source to formulate corrective/prohibitive policies? Build yet another round
of nauseating consensus building arguments. It seems like after the mind
numbing, eye inverting, psycho drama of -change- and yes-we-can, the hydra
is making its presence felt. Telling all of us, that now it is time to go
back to 'serious', 'expert oriented', 'hard-quantitative data analysis'.
Frankly speaking, I felt relieved reading this document. It had the smell of
old familiarity.Like one more carefully articulated position of the hegemon
to reengage with the new world albeit under old premises.

regards

Taha