[Reader-list] academic freedom in South Africa

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Nov 25 13:07:58 IST 2008

Hi all,

An ex-colleague and friend at the University of Kwazulu-Natal has
written  to me asking  to sign the following petition by South Africa's
National Tertiary Education Staff Union (NTESU) in the interests of
protecting academic freedom (in this case, freedom to criticise the
university itself and its management) against an increasingly
dictatorial and corporatist management, one that comes complete with its
own deadly and ruthless lawyers.  Please see:
http://petitions.ntesu.org.za/ukzn <http://petitions.ntesu.org.za/ukzn>

For what its worth, my friend asks academics from India and all over the
world to add their voices to this case: "Hey Vivek. I need your help.
Something terrible is happening here. Please go to
http://petitions.ntesu.org.za/ukzn <http://petitions.ntesu.org.za/ukzn>
and read the documents. Forward to all of your academic friends,
especially in the Indian universities. This is urgent."

It would be hard to explain the background to this to someone not
familiar with the management cadre of South African universities, who
now combine the worst of statist dictatorship and corporatist,
job-cutting ruthlessness in their unique hybrid style.  It's a process
that has been going on for a while--I remember it gathering steam when I
was last there in 1999-- but I have never known my friend to write such
a note, so it has clearly reached a new level.

To put it simply, two science professors are under sanction, threatened
with dismissal, for criticising the university.  A report on the case
can be found here:
http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-11-17-ukzn-meeting-thwarted

But perhaps the larger problem can be best summed up by an extract from
a recent address given by Nithaya Chetty, one of the professors facing
dismissal:

"The threats to academic freedom may be summarised as: a lack of public
understanding and appreciation of the need for academic freedom, a poor
understanding by academics themselves of their roles and
responsibilities as demanded by the principles of academic freedom (or
is it a lack of courage in acting on that understanding?), an
interfering government hand in higher education that erodes
institutional autonomy, the increasing corporatised model that sees
research and education as a business enterprise, and an excessively
managerialist ethos at our universities."
( taken from:
http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-11-24-in-favour-of-free-minds )

....and it's precisely because of statements like these that he is being
targeted.

Vivek