[Reader-list] Words After Violence

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 17:14:25 IST 2008

i hope everyone on sarai list & their families are safe. what a
shocking and terrible past few days. I feel so sad for the people who
were injured & killed and their families.  I was in mumbai but
thankfully not in one of the affected hotels. the first I heard about
it was 3am thurs morning when I received a txt msg from a colleague in
UK asking if I was ok as he'd heard about the attacks. I don't usually
watch the news so hadn't heard about it, but i turned on the tv after
the txt then couldn't get back to sleep. the most shocking thing to me
was how the news coverage said they were rounding up westerners.
regarding the media - I was surprised it took them until morning to be
told not to show the live images. it almost felt like the terrorists
were watching tv especially as they showed the ATS chief outside
putting on his bullet-proof vest then reported him being killed soon
after. I hope the media can learn to be more responsible in their
reporting. the hotel I was in said most people had checked out early
(I was actually due to check out thurs) and they'd had lots of
cancellations. the army was at domestic airport when I caught a flight
to delhi prior to flights returning home fri morning. everything went
smoothly at the airports and there were extra security checks. I hope
it doesn't affect the economy & livelihoods of people there but I
suspect it will for a while in the short term at least. I hope
everyone stays safe with their friends & families now.
kath