[Reader-list] Balaka Stork: Another Attack On Statues

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 03:49:07 IST 2008

Midnight tonight, a failed attack on statues. This time, not successful.

All analysis aside, I am glad they didn't manage to smash the statues.
Dodged the bullet, this time. And because there's relief, we start
having a discussion about tactical media. Should we blog about this or
not. We can try to fight these things as "internal issues", but some
nutjob will take these images and start frothing about "Bangladeshi
jehadi camps" (of a manner already in Indian media after the horrific
Mumbai attacks). How do you manage for the internal/external audience.
Is this going to be grist for Sadanand Dhume's "Bangla terror" op-ed
in Wall Street Journal?

Full text & images at:
http://unheardvoice.net/blog/2008/11/30/balaka-statue/