[Reader-list] INDIA: Others Among Us

Syed Yunus delhi.yunus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:06:10 IST 2008

Kshmendra,

I assume that you are refering to the state of  poverty that pulls muslims
from bangladesh towards India & pushes indians towards other country for
earning money.

If not  than I would say it is actually 'poverty which is responsible,
religion has nothing to do with it. I would rather love to be an illegal
migrant rather than die of hunger or continues, regular, yearly  floods.

and  somethimes I think why only homo sapians  are illegal migrants, what
about the other animals who increases our 'bio diversity'.

and why 'Rivers' are not invaders for our neighbors and their flow as 'act
of terror' for us, that provoke them to migrate offcourse 'illegally'

Best,

Yunus

On 10/6/08, Kshmendra Kaul <kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Naeem
>
> I can only comment on what you actually post since I am not privy to the
> background of your choosing an extract. If you had given that background,
> maybe your extract would not have seemed provocative. Maybe.
>
> You misrepresent my usage of "As an Indian". It was not meant to exclude or
> silence you. I neither have the desire nor power to do it. This List is open
> space and at the very least it seeks to be South Asian.
>
> Why would you object to my sadness "as an Indian" when I register (as
> noteworthy) the desperation and hopelessness of an Indian expressing itself
> as ""Where will I go? This is the place where I was born. This is the place
> I will die."?
>
> Was I the one "othering" you? You had already "othered" yourself by
> choosing as an introduction for your posting the extract  """"...even
> "famous Muslims" find it difficult to find a house."""""".
>
> If I am not mistaken, you are from Bangladesh. It would be good if there
> are regular postings from you highlighting significant social and political
> issues of Bangladesh including ones related to the minorities. This list is
> too India-centric isn't it, as you yourself (I think) have pointed out in
> the past.
>
> While we are at your "otherness", if you are actually from Bangladesh may I
> ask you something. It has always intrigued me that if India is such a
> hellish place for Muslims,  why would Muslims from Bangladesh in fairly
> large numbers steal in as illegal migrants. What are your thoughts on that?
>
> I ask a similar question from my fellow Indians who talk about India being
> a "Great Country" and either talk about it already being a Superpower or
> being on the thresh-hold of becoming a Superpower. I ask them if the truth
> is anywhere close to their contentions, why would Indians by the thousands
> leave India and seek employment or education opportunities in other
> countries.
>

> Kshmendra

Change is the only constant in life !