[Reader-list] Jamia Milia VC: Alienated Generation

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 11:32:06 IST 2008

"In the ultimate analysis, our society, which has gone through the
Khalistan movement and experienced terrorism in the Northeast, must
look at these incidents in a more cool-headed manner. Because you
can't fight it by reacting in a hysterical manner."

Tehelka, Oct 11, 2008

ALIENATED GENERATION

Nobody dare question our commitment to education and the Indian Constitution

by Mushirul Hasan

THE EXTENT to which our society is getting polarised along religious
lines is very disturbing. If this is the state of affairs almost seven
decades after independence, what might happen a few decades later?
This is not the time to attribute responsibility to different parties
or communities. This is a moment of self-reflection; of trying to find
out what gives rise to this mindless violence.

The other very disquieting fact is how the electronic media and
sections of the Hindi print media have taken upon themselves the
responsibility of being the custodian of the nation's interest. The
arrogance and intolerance in their coverage reflects a very ominous
trend in the history of journalism. I have experienced this recently.
The Jamia incident is not a big affair, it could have been easily
sorted out, but it was turned into a campaign against a university.
Our doors are open to non-Muslims; our teachers are drawn from all
communities. Compare our record with that of other so-called secular
universities where Muslims have limited access — Benaras Hindu
University, Allahabad University, Delhi University itself — then what
are we questioning?

A student at the London School of Economic (LSE) was nabbed very
recently by the police — does it mean that the LSE has become a hotbed
of terrorism? This is senseless. I think we have to fight back. We
have tolerated this nonsense for far too long. We should take on the
media and demonstrate to the people that they are not trustworthy and
are out to basically sensationalise events. Jamia Millia is being seen
as the Muslim institution that it is not; it is a secular institution
funded by the Central Government. The question of legal aid is not
being looked at from the perspective of a teacher's responsibility to
her students. As the head of the institution, I feel I have an
obligation towards my students. And I am not using the taxpayer's
money for it. But the real issue is of principle. If this had happened
to a non-Muslim student, I would have done the same. I am also
upholding the rule of law. Why have we forgotten the principle that
says that an accused is innocent until proven guilty?

In the ultimate analysis, our society, which has gone through the
Khalistan movement and experienced terrorism in the Northeast, must
look at these incidents in a more cool-headed manner. Because you
can't fight it by reacting in a hysterical manner. Also, our police is
becoming more politicised and communalised. We haven't reoriented them
into becoming the custodians of the secular values enshrined in the
Constitution. Over the past 10 years, there has been a systematic
pattern — Deoband University, an institution with a glorious record,
has been targeted. So has Nadvat-ul-Ulema in Lucknow. Aligarh
University has always been targeted, despite its being a modern
institution with its doors open to all. Is there a pattern in this
madness? We need to reflect on these issues. The alienation is very
deep, and has to stop. But instead of supporting us, which would also
mean supporting an institution committed to secular values, there are
attempts to undermine our secular foundations.

And now we are dealing with a younger generation of Muslims. I believe
in a liberal, eclectic and pluralist idea of Islam, but I suspect this
vision will not be shared by those who are feeling insecure and
excluded, socially and culturally. Why have the guilty in Gujarat not
been punished? Why? Why? Why is the VHP and Bajrang Dal not banned for
killing innocent Christians and desecrating their churches?

I regard myself, as do millions of others, as part of the edifice that
is called India. The idea of India is my idea. There is no India
without me, and I will not let that change. We have already taken
certain steps to counter subversive ideas that might fracture our
secular society. I appeal to civil society and the media to let us
live in peace, and get on with our simple and innocent job — pursuit
of knowledge. There is a limit to what one can tolerate. Nobody dare
question our commitment to education, and our loyalty to the Indian
Constitution.

(Hasan is Vice-Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi)