[Reader-list] 'Encounters', Colombian style

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 9 15:55:24 IST 2008

Observers have wondered at the speed at which new techniques of torture
and repression spread from one conflict area to another, sometimes
continents away. I hope I am not contributing to this phenomenon...

French daily 'Liberation' reports that in Colombia, the army now abducts
destitute civilians in the cities' streets or in the countryside,
bus/trucks them a few hunderd miles, and shoot them in staged 'encounters'
in order to fatten up the tally of 'guerrillas'/ 'terrorists'/ 'drug
dealers' eliminated, and pocket premiums, bonusses and other rewards (one
'ennemy of the state' killed = 5 days furlow).

How low can you go?

Meanwhile the Colombian govt has ordered inquests "in order to clean up
the name of our army".

Article in Liberation (in French): http://tinyurl.com/3t9xza