[Reader-list] FINANCE: Neel Kashkari/MBA, Soft Drink, Electric Car, Kashmir

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 12:12:28 IST 2008

Kashkari family just memories under a bridge
*Muzamil Jaleel <http://www.indianexpress.com/columnist/muzamiljaleel/> -
Indian Express

**Srinagar, October 7 * The 35-year-old Indian who has been tasked with
bailing out the US economy from the credit crunch has his roots in
Srinagar's Safriyar locality. But nobody in this rundown neighbourhood knows
Neel Kashkari. His identity here is through his grandfather Sudarshan
Kashkari, a former head clerk in the Electric Department, the well known
Kashkari clan, a brick house on the banks of the Jhelum and a Kashkari
neighbourhood which no longer exists.

Neel Kashkari's family once lived in this Kashmiri Pandit locality around
the Somyar temple. "We remember Sudarshan Kashkari and his three sons," says
Bashir Ahmad Wani who has been running a shop in the area for over 50 years.
"We were neighbours."

Their house and the rest of the Kashkari neighbourhood were dismantled in
2000 to make way for a new bridge. "The temple is still there," says Wani,
pointing towards two brick houses. "These are the houses of the Sadhu
family, the only remnants of the time other than the memories."

The only Kashmiri Pandit shopkeeper in the neighbourhood, 65-year-old
Manohar Nath Chrungo, now has just a few bales on the wooden shelves. A
neighbouring shopkeeper, 75-year-old Noor-ul-Hassan, sits next to him. "Are
you planning to buy any property," Chrungo asks when The Indian Express
inquires about Kashkari family. "There is nothing left. The entire Safriyar
locality came under the bridge project."

But Chrungu, Hassan and Wani are surprised to hear that we were searching
for the roots of a young man who has become news worldwide. "For years, only
people interested in buying the property would come. But we are happy to
know one of our sons will bring fame to this neglected neighbourhood," says
Wani, before joining the other two to figure out how much $700 billion would
be in rupees.

Neel Kashkari's father Chaman Nath Kashkari left for the US soon after
completing his engineering in 1950. "It was a big family with a house right
on the banks of the Jhelum," says cousin Sham Lal Kashkari, who now lives in
Jammu. "Both his brothers are dead. We have met Neel's father a few times.
He used to attend marriages in the family. We haven't seen his children." In
fact, Neel Kashkari's uncle Som Nath Kashkari was a known city doctor.

Chrungu and Wani, meanwhile, walk towards the bridge. "This is where the
house stood," says Chrungo, pointing at an iron electric pole at the river
bank a few feet away, the Somyar mandir, one of Srinagar's ancient temples,
stands in all its grandeur. It is surrounded by bunkers and spools of barbed
wire. "There's no Kashmiri Pandit here. It is just us," shouts a CRPF jawan
from behind the sandbags.

Link -
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/kashkari-family-just-memories-under-a-bridge/370559/2