[Reader-list] Help with a phrase

Sanjay Kak kaksanjay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:55:54 IST 2008

Since this List is fast emerging as a one-stop resource on all things to do
with Kashmir, I wonder if someone could help with a phrase that I've started
encountering quite frequently in posts here: 'azadi bara e islam' (freedom
through Islam), presumably as a slogan raised in/about Kashmir.
Since this is not a slogan that I've heard in Kashmir in the period 2003-08,
and or even encountered (oops! bad word) in my reading of old classics such
as Jagmohan's "My Frozen Turbulence", I would really like to know what the
provenance of this phrase is.
Is this a recent slogan in Kashmir? Is it an old one?
With all thanks for the help
Sanjay Kak