[Reader-list] Being Muslim in "India Today"

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 14:20:34 IST 2008

Dear Prabhakar

Unless I remember incorrectly, you are a poet, are you not? Where is your sensitivity?

Samina certainly has not "blamed Hindus for everything" nor does, what she has written, suggest that "her hate for Hindus is so intense". Where is your honesty?

Try and understand this:

- There are some who are very conscious of their Hindu identity. They have many concerns about the attacks that take place on that identity from the State or elements from outside the Hindu fold.

- From amongst those who are very conscious of their Hindu identity, there are Hindus who are higly concerned about many acts that are taking place in the name of Hindus from within the Hindu fold.

- There are also some WHO ARE NOT OBSESSED with their Hindu identity but get identified as Hindus and therefore also have concerns about acts against Hindus from the State, or from outside the Hindu fold, or from within the Hindu fold.

SIMILARLY, there are such identical paradigms amongst the Muslims and Christians etc.

Someone who truly loves India would be a fool to ignore that or dismiss it. Taking the example of Muslims:

- There are some Muslims who are very conscious of their Islamic identity. They have many concerns about the attacks that take place on that identity from the State or elements from outside the fold of Muslims.

- From amongst those who are very conscious of their Islamic identity, there are Muslims  who are higly concerned about many acts that are taking place in the name of Islam from within the Muslim fold.

- There are also some Muslims WHO ARE NOT OBSESSED with their Islamic identity but get identified as Muslims and therefore also have concerns about acts against Muslims from the State, or from outside the fold of Muslims, or from within the Muslim fold.

Now read Samina's article again and you might have a more sensitive appreciation of what she is trying to convey. That does not mean that you have to agree with everything she has written.

I am reproducing below, the (only) critical part of Samina's writing that was edited out by India Today:

"""""" As a Muslim in India today, not only are you fighting to shrug off the label of fundamentalist - if not terrorist - but you are also succumbing to a paradigm of dialogue which has been set for homogenous communities with clear markers of identities. """""

Incidentally, asking someone to keep or remove a 'surname' is none of your business.

Kshmendra