[Reader-list] Petition for "Citizen to Citizen Dialogue" in Jammu & Kashmir

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 19:11:24 IST 2008

Though rarely one to sign "Petitions On Line", I was heartened to see that the majority of the comments are positive and hopeful.

As expected some did not agree with all of the wording of the Petition.

Kshmendra

Petition Title:

"Citizen to Citizen Dialogue: A Tool for Negotiating the Future of Jammu and Kashmir"
http://www.petitiononline.com/ashima08/petition.html

To:  Political Parties, Government, Social, Religious and Separatist Organisations in Jammu and Kashmir

We, the citizens of Jammu and Kashmir stand at decisive crossroads of our history. There is no room for complacency today. We are the ones who have to take the initiative for deciding the future of our State. We are the ones who have to decide whether we want to choose a future where our children will have to relive the horrors of 1947 or walk the path that gives peace a chance.

We all know that the State of Jammu and Kashmir is a multicultural, multireligious, multiethnic, multilinguistic and our demographic composition vis-à-vis minorities and sub minorities is not unilaterally spread. In this unique landscape, people differ on the basis of their political aspirations, ideologies, experiences, historical memories and perspectives. Hence it is utmost important that the multinarratives and multi realties of our region are recognized, accepted and respected by each other.

In order to do so, the citizens have to come forward to reject the exclusivist agendas and politics based on dividing people on the basis of religion and region. There is a designed agenda to lead people towards hating and detesting each other. We have to put a stop to the ongoing ‘hate ‘politics, bloodbath and mobilizing people on the basis of religion and region.

The parochial agenda of political parties, whether elected or those which are separatist in nature, are shown the door and never to be accepted by any one of us. We have to become aware that the political constituencies which are being constructed on the cost human lives have destroyed homes, material and spiritual happiness of people and therefore they-messiahs of violence and hate should not find any space in our social and political lives. They have to be halted at any cost.

It is for us the citizens of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh to make way for the true spirit of Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Sikhism to guide and direct our relationships and respect for human life. It is for the citizens of this region to let the new creed of non-violence which does not mean mere rejection of external physical harm but upholding the values of inner deeper spiritual values of humanity to take charge of our daily lives. The need of the hour is for the citizens to come together and dialogue our differences, grievances, pain and humiliations.

As citizens of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh, we sign and endorse this petition for dialogue between citizens of the region for resolving issues and deciding the future of Jammu and Kashmir. This petition will be considered as the voice of the people for choosing ‘Citizen to Citizen Dialogue’ and for rejecting communal, hate and vote bank politics.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned