[Reader-list] Fwd:Understanding Hindutva

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 19:21:02 IST 2008

Dear Kshmendra,
It is a matter of satisfaction that we shear certain common concerns particularly on the menace of pan Islamism driven terrorism that is responsible for the ethnic cleansing of Hindu Pandits in Kashmir & is now increasingly targeting rest of India.

That we both happen to be Kashmir Hindu Pandits is a mere coincidence & this is in no way a binding on both of us to agree or disagree on a particular topic. But as members of the exiled community it is desirable though again not imperative to hold similar opinion on the stated position of the community on issues like our forced exodus, our firm belief that Kashmir is an integral part of India, our commitment to return back to the valley etc.

I am in total agreement with you on the issue of certain degraded practices within the Hindu fold which you have rightly observed as being against the ‘Dharmic treatise’.

But I do not agree that it is being ‘unfortunate’ to be a Hindu on this account. You are Kashmiri Pandit – you are a Hindu .One can’t be an escapist. It is a collective responsibility. We speak so much on this forum with a concern- why can’t we do something about the ills ‘with in’ too. The reformers have to come from within the fold .Please try it out.
I think as a Hindu you have every right to voice concerns that disturb you.

By the way, you never christened yourself as a Hindu yourself. This is how we were described by explorers (….???.) when they touched (…???..) our shores.

 Interestingly,  today if you are an Indian passport holder irrespective of whether you are a Hindu, Muslim, Christian, atheist, agnostic, a Marxist or a capitalist if you are asked to identify your nationality in Arabic you know the answer- “ona al Hindi” .

Yes, integrity of India can not be allowed to be challenged. It is a serious issue & my posts on this forum are often on this subject. Hindu Pandits were subjected to ethnic cleansing in the valley because they were Hindus & they symbolised Indian presence in Kashmir. Today pan Islamism inspired terrorism is perceived to be a global threat. Look what is happening in Pakistan now – innocent Pakistanis falling prey to something that was meant to inflict cuts on India.  It saddens me to see a young man from Bangluru going all the way to UK only to blow himself up at Glasgow – it is a young Indian life lost. Who knows he could have grown to be a great space scientist. That is why I keep pleading against any such move that justifies terrorism by attributing it to perceived injustice or deprivation to garner votes of a particular community.

Inter communal disharmony i has also its roots in history as well as politics of appeasement.

I am proud of being an Indian, a Kashmiri & a Hindu. I find it repulsive to relate patriotism to faith as I believe that India belongs to all Indians & hope & prey that we all learn to own it.

And I do not find it necessary to analyse the said article that as you have rightly pointed out is full of ‘unwarranted generalisation’ & ‘superficial comments’.
Regards all
LA

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 04:37:54 -0700From: kshmendra2005 at yahoo.comSubject: Re: [Reader-list] Fwd:Understanding HindutvaTo: virtuallyme at gmail.com; reader-list at sarai.net; lalitambardar at hotmail.com

Dear Lalit

I did not see any 'Hindu bashing' in the article "Understanding Hindutva" by Averthanus L. D'Souza.

I thought he made some unwarranted generalisations at a few places and made a few  superficial comments but there was no 'Hindu bashing'.

Lalit, I happen to be a Kashmiri Pandit and I am quite connected with that identity. Because of that I get to be seen as a Hindu too. I consider that unfortunate but I have no choice in that.

Explaining 'unfortunate', in general I have a lot of contempt for very many of the rituals, precepts that are recognised as being Hindu but are far removed from the Heritage of Dharmic Treatises with which these degraded practices and thoughts get indistiguishably linked because of the Hindu tag.

My 'spiritual food' is provided by "Dharma" but my recorded religion is Hinduism.

I have deep concerns about many acts and propagations in the name of Hinduism and Hindus with which I too get linked because of my being a Hindu on the records. I am allowed those concerns, am I not?

My ultimate societal identity is of an Indian. It is my primary identity. All my other identities or identifications are secondary in nature because their existence and/or practice is possible only under the enabling environment (Constitution) that ensures and testifies to my primary identity of being an Indian.

Any word or act  that directly or indirectly threatens to disintegrate India which is the enabler of my primary identity will be seen by me with deep concern. It does not matter what the rationale, justification or philosophy or ideology might be used in support of any such act or word. It does not matter whether it is "Hindu" or "Islamic" or "Christian" etc or "Atheist" or "Agnostic" or "Marxist" or "Capitalist" etc.

I thought the article made some excellent points and at very many places faithfully articulated my own thoughts/feelings/concerns.

- Is there a concept of Hindutva that is sought to be put into practice? Yes there is.

- Do all "Hindus" subscribe to this concept of Hindutva? No they do not.

- Is an attack on "Hindutva" therefore an attack on Hindus or on Hinduism? No it is not.

The article has covered the elemental beliefs of the Hindutva philosophy. I see that you have not contested those as being incorrect.

Propagation and/or microcosmic practice of Hindutva will create nothing but turmoil and strife in India. Hindutva therefore becomes the enemy of India and my enemy. There is no difference between it and the vision of a Pan-Islamic World that you yourself often speak against. How can you condemn one and not the other?

Hindutva translated into reality will mean the disintegration of India. Hindutva therefore becomes the enemy of India and my enemy. How can it be acceptable to me as an Indian? It is not.

Hindutva is not acceptable to me as a "Hindu" or a Kashmiri Pandit either.

Kshmendra