[Reader-list] I don't oppose your thinking; but spit at it

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:26:44 IST 2008

Dear Aditya,

Thank you for this heart-rending list of all you have lost. I certainly
don't make light of it, nor does anyone else on this list. I have a feeling
that actually you are not the only one here on whom weighs this great
historically ordained burden of pain. Many many people here have lost many
things. They are just not so vocal about it. Also not everyone uses pain as
a justification for hate, which you seem to have made a career out of. So
before you parade your sentiments yet again please take a small moment to
introspect about the tremendous violence you have done to other people on
this list: how sensitive you have been to their pain, how much understanding
you have shown or not shown, how you have treated even your "own" people
like Inder.

It will only help. Sometimes it is not a bad thing to realise that you are
not the only person in the world whose pain matters. It is this recognition
that allows any child to grow up and move from the early-oral phase: the
recognition of the other. Else the child will be caught in a total
narcissism where everything is judged solely by the standards of her own
pain and pleaure. Many many people on this list have lead lives of great
adversity and hardship Aditya. Just because, unlike you, they are not
accustomed to forcing it upon everyone else and parading their victimhood
for all to see, does not mean that you have the prerogative of priveldging
your pain over theirs.

Warmly
Aarti