[Reader-list] Lecture by Prof. Deborah Klimburg-Salter Bamiyan, the HinduKush and Kakrak

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:11:31 IST 2008

Dear All
Just returned from  JNU ( Arts Aesthetic Dept.) after listening the
lecture presentation by Prof. Deborah.

It was very interesting presentaion from all perspectives.  The most
impressive thing was about the use of Oil  by Artists in Bamiyan on
the surface while executing images of Buddha.

To say so, she said, it was possible only after a Japanese scientist
had done a extensive research on the painted layers in Bamiyan
The use of masks on the carving on the 55 meter tall carvings was
monumental in the valley of Bamiyan during 7th century, along with
other painted caves. The presence of coins similar to masks and other
urns and images was breathtaking. She showed how Shivasitic traditions
had come from Indian via Kashmir before and after and dominated the
Hindu Kush valley. The Turks indeed ruled nearly for 200 years and the
coinage of that time significantly depicting the use of Roman script
as well.

The elongaged ears, which we are familiar with Shiva was quite visible
on the painting of Buddha in Bamiyan.

Having said, thins, one only regrets the Anglo American policies in
this region which have resulted into the destruction of the
magnificent art works,

love
is

--