[Reader-list] Kashmir's people at centre stage (Hindu)

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:54:37 IST 2008

There is not much to like in a bourgeois democratic system. I don't
differentiate there between Kashmir and the rest of India. A poet once said
about democracy:
Jahan janta ki janta dvara
Aisi taisi hoti hai
Vahan democracy hoti hai.

Democracy is where people make a mess of people's life (sorry for this crude
translation). I see no place in the world where people are not cynical about
electoral politics. Ironically, those who gain the most out of a democratic
regime, are more cynical of it. Do we ever hear someone praising a
democratic government except for those who have political and/or economic
interests? Yet it seems to be the best option out of the available ones
(even in Kashmir) But, of course, people do have different opinions.

Here is another article on this from today's Hindu.

Democracy and the peace process in J&K

Praveen Swami

New Delhi must break with a script which has led to a breakdown of
democratic institutions and engendered a dysfunctional political culture.

Speaking from atop his wooden throne in Srinagar’s Jama Masjid earlier this
month, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq delivered a stinging attack on politicians who
will
contest the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly elections next month.

“I want to ask the Prime Minister of India,” the cleric and secessionist
politician said in his October 10 sermon, “whether it serves any purpose to
hold
discussions with leaders who do not dare move among the masses unless they
are protected by a cordon of guards.”

Mirwaiz Farooq’s fighting words would have had a great moral force had it
not been for one uncomfortable fact: he is among the ranks of politicians he
railed
against. Like his secessionist colleagues Sajjad Gani Lone, Bilal Gani Lone,
Abdul Gani Butt and Aga Syed Hassan, the Mirwaiz is protected by the Jammu
and Kashmir police. In addition, the Mirwaiz—whose father was assassinated
by jihadists — has invested in a bullet-proof car.

Early next year, notwithstanding the anti-election campaign that has now
been unleashed by secessionists, an elected government will again hold power
in
the State. Influential figures in New Delhi’s policy establishment have been
suggesting that once the rituals of democracy are done with, New Delhi,
along
with Islamabad, must get down to the real business of hammering out a peace
deal with the very politicians who are seeking to obstruct the elections.
While
the new government goes about fixing roads and sewers, this line of thinking
has it, the big boys will fix Jammu and Kashmir’s future.

If New Delhi is in fact serious about peace-building in Jammu and Kashmir,
it must break with this script — a script which over the last six decades
has
led to a breakdown of democratic institutions in the State and engendered a
near-clinical dysfunction in its political life. Instead, the politicians
who
are elected this winter must be pushed to come up with a workable vision of
the State’s future — and encouraged to negotiate its contours and content
with
their counterparts in Parliament.

Ever since Independence, New Delhi had sought to secure Jammu and Kashmir’s
accession to India through a series of backroom deals. Politicians were
cajoled
— and sometimes coerced — to sign agreements in 1952, 1966, 1971 and 1975.
Not one was debated and ratified by an elected body.

Deceit and betrayal

It takes little to see what drove this unhappy story. Prime Ministers, from
Jawaharlal Nehru to P.V. Narasimha Rao, were driven by the need to defend
India
against Pakistan’s covert war in Jammu and Kashmir. In their vision, the
proper role of the elected governments in Jammu and Kashmir was to dispense
patronage,
and thus undermine dissent — not deal with the issues which drove the
conflict.

When Jammu and Kashmir saw the restoration of democratic governance in 1996,
this paradigm continued to shape New Delhi’s policies. Soon after he took
office,
Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee set about seeking a deal with the All
Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC) — a secessionist coalition cast as the
sole
representative of Kashmir’s authentic, secessionist sentiment.

Prime Minister Vajpayee’s peace efforts, although helped along by
generously-funded covert funding to the APHC leadership, achieved little.
Hemmed in by
hawks in his Cabinet, Mr. Vajpayee was in no position to make significant
political concessions. APHC leaders, for their part, faced massive coercive
pressures
from jihadist groups like the Hizb ul-Mujahideen and the Lashkar-e-Taiba. In
essence, the APHC and the Government of India played for time. Both hoped
that negotiations with Pakistan would lead to an agreement that would end
the conflict by gifting the secessionists power within an autonomy-based
framework.
Apprehensive of just that outcome, the National Conference began adopting
increasingly intransigent postures, hoping to frustrate a New
Delhi-Islamabad-APHC
deal. Even as New Delhi talked to the APHC, though, it rejected the National
Conference’s calls for a dialogue on autonomy — souring relations with the
most important player in State politics.

During his first years in office, Prime Minister Singh’s policies closely
mirrored those of his predecessor. He once again initiated negotiations with
the
APHC, and authorised a covert programme to reach out to hardline
secessionists outside its fold. As before, the APHC refused to bring to the
table a road
map for dialogue. And mirroring the actions of the National Conference
earlier, the People’s Democratic Party turned to Islamist ideas and
practices in
an effort to stave off the political consequences of a New Delhi-APHC deal.

In 2006, the Prime Minister finally departed from the tried and tested path,
realising that it led only to certain failure. Instead of seeking a deal
with
the APHC alone, he now reached out to the full spectrum of political opinion
in Jammu and Kashmir. Following all-party conferences in New Delhi and
Srinagar,
the Prime Minister set up five Working Groups on the conflict. Four of the
groups — on social confidence-building measures, the cross-Line of Control
relationship,
economic development and governance — submitted their reports last year.

But the critical fifth group, which discussed Jammu and Kashmir’s
constitutional relationship with New Delhi, has not met in over a year, let
alone submit
a report.

Part of the reason was that major political parties in Jammu and Kashmir
have not been able to arrive at a shared vision of the future. National
Conference
leaders reiterated their controversial 1999 proposals for wide-ranging
autonomy within the Union of India, but offered no blueprint for addressing
the
anxieties of those residents who opposed this agenda. For its part, the
People’s Democratic Party called for self-rule, but submitted only a
blueprint
for devolution of powers to district and regional bodies—not a map for
transfiguring Jammu and Kashmir’s relationship with New Delhi. Bharatiya
Janata
Party representatives called for the abrogation of Article 370 of the
Constitution (which confers a special status on the State), while the
Congress said
nothing at all.

New Delhi’s failure to push the fifth Working Group also stemmed from its
hope that the APHC could still be made to sign on to an emerging
India-Pakistan
deal. At secret meetings which began in 2005, Prime Minister Singh’s envoy,
SK Lambah, and his Pakistani counterpart, Tariq Aziz, arrived at five points
of convergence. First, the two men agreed that there would be no redrawing
of the Line of Control. Second, they accepted that there would have to be
greater
political autonomy on both sides of Jammu and Kashmir. Lambah and Aziz also
agreed that India would begin troop cuts in response to de-escalation of
jihadist
violence, cooperatively use resources like watersheds, forests and glaciers,
and, finally, open the LoC for travel and trade.

>From the outset, the APHC rejected participation in the Prime Minister’s
round-table dialogue, refusing to accept that it was just one of several
political
voices in Jammu and Kashmir. Speaking after a February 20, 2006 meeting
where the APHC rejected an invitation to participate in the Delhi
round-table conference,
Mirwaiz Farooq said that while “the Hurriyat is not averse to New Delhi’s
consultation process with others,” it “believes that for permanent
resolution
of the Kashmir crisis, the governments of India and Pakistan shall have to
essentially deal with those people who have been treating Jammu and Kashmir
as a disputed territory from day one.” Before the subsequent Srinagar
conference, Prime Minister Singh’s advisors have long claimed, Mirwaiz
Farooq tempered
that stand and agreed to join in the discussions. However, the APHC backed
out at the last moment.

Since then the Mirwaiz’s position has hardened. In the midst of this summer’s
communally charged Shrine Board protests, he signed a secret June 19
agreement
with Syed Ali Shah Geelani dropping the option of direct talks with the
Government of India — the Islamist patriarch’s long-standing bone of
contention
with the APHC.

In his sermon, Mirwaiz Farooq lashed out at “the accords and agreements
signed by Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, Bakshi Ghulam Muhammad and Syed Mir
Qasim with
New Delhi, which the people of Kashmir have never accepted.” Agreements like
these, the Mirwaiz said, bred a culture of “deceit and betrayal.” He is
right,
but he omitted to mention that secessionists were just as complicit in this
corruption as pro-India politicians. Groups like the APHC are reluctant to
engage in a genuine dialogue precisely because it will be substantive. Few
among the secessionists have a workable vision for the future; those who do
have are willing to risk the consequences of articulating one.

As things stand, it appears that the APHC and other secessionists want a
deal which hands them power, not a real dialogue — a replay of the New
Delhi-Srinagar
pacts involving Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah, which they claim to abhor. Whether
the APHC likes it or not, the National Conference, the Congress and the
People’s
Democratic Party do speak for substantial sections of Jammu and Kashmir.
Accepting this plurality of voices is a prerequisite for a meaningful peace.

Instead of empowering secessionists by starting a renewed engagement with
the APHC after the elections, New Delhi would do well to turn, instead, to
the
politicians chosen by Jammu and Kashmir’s people to represent them.